Nikon 50mm 1.8D for D5100.

I still don't have my 50mm 1.8D and don't exactly know how aperture ring will work, and from your answers it became very confusing to me how exactly aperture ring will change aperture when mounted at reverse and what will cheap or nikon reverse ring will help me in setting aperture exactly? Please can you explain me?

The reversing ring has NOTHING to do with the aperture setting. Nada. Zip. Nil. Goose egg. D lenses have an aperture ring. When you reverse a D lens, you simply unlock the aperture ring and dial in (using the ring, not the command dial on the camera) whatever aperture you want.

When a D lens is removed from a camera, it stops down to whatever aperture it is set to. Usually, it's the minimum (and locked there) because it needs to be set there for a DSLR to work. But if it's dialed in to f/8, when you remove it from the camera it sill stop down to f/8 and stay there. When you installed it reversed on a camera, the viewfinder is dark because it's at f/8. Using a BR-6 will open it to f/1.8 so you can focus & compose, then push the little lever on it and the lens will stop down to f/8, or whatever aperture you've dialed in on the ring.

And which reverse ring will be batter cheap or nikon? And how? Provide any link if there from which i can read in detail.

I use a Nikon BR2A simply because it's damned solid. Fine piece of machined metal. Cheepies might even be plastic!

Maybe this will help:

Last edited by a moderator:
How about using a reversing ring to mount the 50mm to a kit lens? I thought about doing this to reverse mount my 50mm 1.8d on my 55-200mm VR.

I'm not a huge fan of the manual focus ring on the D, it seems a bit sloppy and loose. I use a lot of manual focus lenses on my D7000. I honestly would go after an AiS even with the loss of metering...

Just my 2cents

Thanks for the video.

So won't I be able to take macro without BR-6? Only reverse ring won't be sufficient?

You CAN take images without it. But it's damned convenient!

How about using a reversing ring to mount the 50mm to a kit lens? I thought about doing this to reverse mount my 50mm 1.8d on my 55-200mm VR.

You just need one with the threads that match the filter sizes of both lenses.

0850reversedonmacro.jpg

I actually have both of those lenses and did use them for a while with a D5100. The 50mm f/1.8D will work OK because of the ranger finder (dot) that will help you focus. The focusing screen on the D5100 just isn't very good for manual focus as it is too small and dark. (at least for me to use) but, the range finder makes up for it to a point. As for the 70-300 F/4-5.6? It isn't Nikon's greatest kit lens to start with although it isn't as bad as some would lead you to believe. It is however, to slow (dark) for the rangefinder to work effectively and therefore is very hard to manually focus with the D5100. So, my recommendation would be OK for the 50mm but Not OK on the 70-300. Hope this helps.

I actually have both of those lenses and did use them for a while with a D5100. The 50mm f/1.8D will work OK because of the ranger finder (dot) that will help you focus. The focusing screen on the D5100 just isn't very good for manual focus as it is too small and dark. (at least for me to use) but, the range finder makes up for it to a point. As for the 70-300 F/4-5.6? It isn't Nikon's greatest kit lens to start with although it isn't as bad as some would lead you to believe. It is however, to slow (dark) for the rangefinder to work effectively and therefore is very hard to manually focus with the D5100. So, my recommendation would be OK for the 50mm but Not OK on the 70-300. Hope this helps.

Finally decided to buy 50mm 1.8D and will also use it for macro using reversing it on 18-55mm kit lens

As far as focusing screens go these are a great aid for manual focusing.
I've been looking at those and wondering just how well they work.

If you grew up in the film era when most SLRs had a split prism/microprism collar, you'd really appreciate them. Alas, most young'uns to day don't 'get it'.
I grew up with a Minolta SRT201 which has a prism/microprism center spot. I really miss it even with auto focus.

Most reactions

Back