Nikon 50mm 1.8D for D5100.

spmakwana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folk,
want's some of your opinion, i'm going to buy 50mm 1.8D prime for my nikon D5100, I know my dslr won't auto focus this lens, but i don't think it will create much trouble to manual focus because i like still photography, not of moving subject.
So is it wiser to buy this lens or not?

Or should I buy Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (4.3x) Lens to extend the focal range, but i'm havily slanting towards 50mm prime because, 70-300 won't auto focus and don't have VR. And I think it will be required in long telephoto lens for me.

I wouldn't buy the 70-300mm non vr. But 70-300vr is a different story. I have one, use it a lot and it is great.

I also have a 50mm 1.8D. I hardly use it as it does not suit my type of photography

You'll never be sorry for buying a Nifty Fifty, and the 50/1.8D is a danged fine choice.

I prefer the D over the G because you can reverse a D and control the aperture with the right accessories.

The 70-300mm VR is an AWESOME lens, get it!!!
I wouldn't bother to get the 50mm 1.8D, get the 50mm 1.8G, its only 60$ more expensive so its well worth the added investment for the AF.

I'd practice doing manual focus before buying the 1.8D, the viewfinder of the D5100 isn't great and may hinder manual focusing. If it's OK then go for it, it's a great little lens.

I wouldn't bother to get the 50mm 1.8D, get the 50mm 1.8G, its only 60$ more expensive so its well worth the added investment for the AF.

Save the 60 clams for when you outgrow your D5100 and step up to a Big Boy camera. ;)

For the D5100 the 50 1.8G is a better fit. I have it and love it!

I wouldn't buy the 70-300mm non vr.

+1

I wouldn't go near a Non VR 70-300! You really want a 70-300 VR...you will Thank us for sure.

As for the 50mm 1.8d, I have one and enjoy using it. It's really fast and works wonders in low light.

I'd practice doing manual focus before buying the 1.8D, the viewfinder of the D5100 isn't great and may hinder manual focusing. If it's OK then go for it, it's a great little lens.
The D5100 has manual focusing aids.

There is Rangefinder mode (Custom Settings menu a3) - page 159 of the D5100 users manual (the pdf file on the software disc)
Rangefinder mode is not available in the Manual shooting mode, but since it's a f/1.8D the 50 mm sends distance info to the D5100's AF module and the D5100 will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus is manually achieved at the selected viewfinder focus point.

The D5100 has manual focusing aids.

There is Rangefinder mode (Custom Settings menu a3) - page 159 of the D5100 users manual (the pdf file on the software disc)
Rangefinder mode is not available in the Manual shooting mode, but since it's a f/1.8D the 50 mm sends distance info to the D5100's AF module and the D5100 will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus is manually achieved at the selected viewfinder focus point.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Distance information was for speedlights (to get better exposure), not for aiding the Rangefinder operation.

I have 3 lenses that are not chipped, and the Rangefinder still works.

You'll never be sorry for buying a Nifty Fifty, and the 50/1.8D is a danged fine choice.

I prefer the D over the G because you can reverse a D and control the aperture with the right accessories.

How can we control aperture? D lenses don't have aperture ring.

Is there any other difference in G lens compared to D lens except AF? If not I don't want to spend extra bucks on AF-S lens because I don't think I will have problem in focusing it manually.

One of the things that I regret not getting the D90.

How can we control aperture? D lenses don't have aperture ring.

All of mine do. It's commonly thought that G stands for "gelded', meaning the aperture right has been removed.

Most reactions

Back