Nikon 50mm 1.8E

sukunda87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought Nikon D5200 + 18-55 DX VR GII, and It's pretty awesome. Now I wanna get cheap prime. Currently, 150 euros for 50mm 1.8G is little too much for me, so I saw Nikon 50mm 1.8E, manuel focus lens for ~50 euros. I'm not scared of manual focusing, I like it. But can You tell me how 50mm 1.8E will work with D5200? Manual focusing, I'm aware of that. Is there any other setting that I must do to make it work propery? Is it going to be pain in the ass by using it? And how hard is it to focus manualy without AF, VR, even without tripod? Is it good purchase, or is it smarter to wait a bit longer and buy 1.8G?

I'm addicted to Pentax, so this may or may not apply, but my prime 50, is autofocus. Between weak eyesight and ease of use it was a no brainer for me.

Just put your camera in manual focus and exposure mode when you use it. Manual focus is not an issue for me since I've done it most of my life. Your camera should have some sort of indication of proper focus in your viewfinder. It would make sense to get the modern G lens if autofocus is worth the price difference to you.

Well, the point is that I love manual focus more than autofocus. Even this kit lens Im using more in manual focus when Im shooting close-ups.

Purely manual lens, will not meter or auto focus. So a light meter app will be helpful. As mentioned, manual mode on camera. Sharp lens.

You're going to learn how to use an aperture ring! Congratulations! Welcome to the Club! It'll be a couple weeks before your monogrammed jacket arrives. :allteeth:

The viewfinder in the d5xxx and d3xxx cameras is rather small and manual focus with these cameras isn't that much fun, possible, but no fun

If you're shooting with an f/1.8 lens, it's a breeze. Even without using the in-viewfinder focus aid LED.

Wait longer and buy the 35mm 1.8

I took a few today with mine on a D7200, a lens I'd not gotten around to using for digital. Very impressed. Your main problem with the D5200 is that AFD and manual Ai/Ais lenses can't talk to your camera about metering. The 35/1.8g will solve that problem. They're common and seem to be available used often. It's no sharper than the 50/1.8E but will conveniently auto-focus and meter. For me, the real advantage of the D7XXX bodies is the range of Nikon lenses available from Ai manual to G series.

Oh jeez, I totaly forgot the fact that I will have to meter the light. Or at least to buy light meter (150e), so no. Or, old school, pick a settings, shoot, see a pic, set new parameters according to that pic, and shoot again. Hard core old school photography.

So, about my prime lens, either its going to be 50mm 1.8G or his not-that-good-but-cheap Asian brother Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 (but probably not). I see that there's no point to make '70 camera from my dslr with full manual lens.

Most reactions

Back