Nikon 50mm f/1.4 vs f/1.8

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Money is tight for me right now, but I want to pick up a 50mm. I would like to know how much difference there is between the 50mm f/1.4 and the f/1.8.

Not to be rude, but please don't tell me to "just save up and buy the f/1.4", I just want to hear the benefits lost if I buy the f/1.8 as opposed to the f/1.4

Cheap lens vs quality lens. The focusing is nicer, the lens is of much better construction, the f/1.4 is mostly slightly sharper at the same apertures as the f/1.8.

The f/1.4 is faster in case you missed that which is a real benefit on a D80 which already suffers depth of field issues because of the crop factor compared to a 50mm f/1.8 on a Film camera.

It's up to you really. Optically the lenses are so similar it makes no difference, but one goes to f/1.4 and is of much better build quality and is nicer to use especially for manual focus. I myself own the 1.8 since I couldn't justify the extra cost.

This thread isn't necessary, there have been plenty of discussion on the 1.4 vs the 1.8. I myself have even made a thread on this. Just use the search tool.

Anyways, I just heard that the 1.4 is slightly sharper and better in build quality. If your tight on budget then you should just buy the 1.8 with no questions asked, then you should decide if you need to upgrade.

I wouldn't say the 1.8 is cheap quality. It's plastic bodied, yes, but it's definitely still a good quality lens.

I would also recommend the 1.8. I love mine. Unless you "need" that extra f-stop or a tougher metal lens body.

Most reactions

Back