Nikon 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, i own a Nikon D60 and i want a fast lens for portrait and low light photography.

im not sure if i should buy the 50 or 35 mm. which takes better quality pictures?

thanks

For portraiture the AF 85mm f/1.4D IF is sweet. It's called the Cream machine because the bokeh is so smooth.

Which 50 mm and 35 mm are you considering:

1. AF 50mm f/1.8D ?
  2. AF 50mm f/1.4D ?
  3. AF-S 50 mm f/1.4G ?
  4. AF 35mm F/2D ?
  5. AF-S 35mm f/1.8G ?
With your D60 you will have to manually focus #'s 1, 2 and 4. They will transmit distance and focus info to the processor so the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder will let you know when focus has been achieved.

Is the 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/1.8 and i dont want to spend more than 200 dlls hehe so the 85mm f/1.4 is too expensive for me.

im thinking the 35mm will be better because it has autofocus and sometimes the 35mm will be better indoors because is wider.

I've had both lenses and they're both great. Really just depends on how close you want to get to your subject, I found 35mm was too wide for portraits unless I got right in there. The 50mm will be more like an 85mm on full frame, which is what most people seem to like at a minimm (85-105 usually). As mentioned, the 50 1.8 won't auto focus, that's about the only drawback other than not going as wide.

i wont be just taking portrait pictures and i put my 18-55mm lens in 35mm and 50 and i feel that 35 is more the focal length i need :) i think ill buy it today so maybe ill post some pics with the new lens :)

i just wanted to know if they have the same quality

thanks

The AF 50 f/1.8D has been reviewed as a tad sharper than the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G.

ohh... hehe i dont know which one to buy. i havent buy it yet. i think the 35 because of the autofocus in my D60 :p

and why is the 35mm 1.8 out of stock everywhere?

thanks

If you want a normal lens, for a D60 (DX body) I would get the 35mm. It is equivalent to about a 50mm in a FX body. If you want a portrait lens the 50mm may be better. That would be equivalent to a 75mm.

ohh... hehe i dont know which one to buy. i havent buy it yet. i think the 35 because of the autofocus in my D60 :p

and why is the 35mm 1.8 out of stock everywhere?

thanks
To give the brick and mortar stores something to use as a draw?

Nikon ships once they have a couple thousand made.

oh ok yeah i was just wondering because i look for it on adorama a BH photo and they didn't have it, but a camera store near my town has it.

and ill try both(35 and 50mm f/1.8) in the store and then im going to make my decision ;)

thanks

Personally, I'm really irritated that the 35 doesn't have a DOF scale on it. I mean wtf?

its like the 18-55mm. i have a 55mm macro and i dont really use the DOF scale...

Most reactions

Back