Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Nikkor AF Lens

I have one and it is the best value available in a Nikkow lens IMHO.

In digital it makes a wonderful portrait lens.

I use mine primarily for dusk action shots and indoor sports.

LWW

They're only about $100 brand new with warranty. They'd have to drop to about $50 for me to even consider getting one used for that price.

That's my main lens - I love it! I haven't tried it for portraits though. I'm with Tiberius - might as well get it new! All that warranty goodness, and no worries about it arriving DOA from the 'bay

1. Yes.
2. YES!
3. YESSS!

I actually purchased my copy at a local shop, and it was only $99 + tax. If you're in Houston, there might be enough photo store competition to keep prices on a high demand lens like this low. It always seems that this lens sells out, since an awful lot of people can't pass up a hundred dollar prime. :)

I took this shot with the lens. I'm sure some others could show you some better examples as well.

2006_04_16_5.jpg

Thanks for all your replies! It looks like I'll definitely be purchasing this lens new. I wasn't that excited about buying a used lens, I was just excited to add one to my collection. :lol:

jdunphy said:
If you're in Houston, there might be enough photo store competition to keep prices on a high demand lens like this low.

I'm actually near Houston so I'll be on the lookout for those low prices.

Keep in mind that a roughly equal film lens such as the 85/1.8 AF was $350ish and the 50/1.8 AF does the same job on a D1/2/50/70/100/200.

Of course a 128/1.8 for only $350??????

LWW

Thanks for all your replies! It looks like I'll definitely be purchasing this lens new. I wasn't that excited about buying a used lens, I was just excited to add one to my collection. :lol:

I'm actually near Houston so I'll be on the lookout for those low prices.

I thought I would revive this thread because I just ordered one of these lenses. ShootHoops, You did get the lens, right? Do you like it?

I thought I would revive this thread because I just ordered one of these lenses. ShootHoops, You did get the lens, right? Do you like it?

I know you were asking ShootHoops, but I thought I would chime in as well. I love my 50mm. I use it often in my apartment in low light settings or portraits.

If you want I can snap a few pictures in the afternoon while I am out and about.

Most reactions

Back