Nikon 50mm - f1.8 or 1.4G

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
which one to get?

Does anyone have both? Is the 1.4G worth the extra?

(I've ruled the 1.4D out)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the money, I say go with the f/1.4. The 1.8 is a good performer, but I would rather have the better glass and 2/3's of a stop of light. I have the f/1.4D.

then there is the Zeiss version ;)

I'm not going to risk another sigma. I've had nothing but bad copies in the past.

Ann - The Zeiss is a manual focus?

I think i need to justify the extra cost to myself for the 1.4G. I wish i was rich! :(

yes, the zeiss is a manual focus lens, but a beauty

I'm not going to risk another sigma. I've had nothing but bad copies in the past.

I think i need to justify the extra cost to myself for the 1.4G. I wish i was rich! :(
Yea I think I would make the same choice.

The thing with the 50mm f/1.8 is the value does not go down that much after purchase. If / when you decide to step up. You can sell it and would only be out $20-40. So, if your trying to justify spending more than you want for the f/1.4. I say go ahead and just get the f/1.8. After using it for a while, you find you do need the extra performance of the f/1.4. Then trade or sell the f/1.8 and get the f/1.4. Basically you would be paying maybe $40 for using the f/1.8 how ever long you used it. You may find the f/1.8 is just fine for what you need, and not have to step up to f/1.4 later!

If your hesitant over the money on the f/1.4. I think its a no-brainer on getting the f/1.8!

Hope this helps.

I LOVE that guy! LOL! He's funny, and you don't expect the english accent.

ETA: So after all that, the result is that the Sigma is better than the Nikon 1.4 G?!? I tend to not believe that......

Last edited:
I bought the 1.4G even if my D90 would have taken the D version in AF. It as a more even sharpness. The D version (apparently I never tried it) is very sharp in the middle but becomes soft in the corner. It is a fast and accurate lens. I had no problem with it. Ken Rockwell considers it as an upgrade on the D version. I strongly recommend it, very nice lens!

Hope this helps.

I LOVE that guy! LOL! He's funny, and you don't expect the english accent.

ETA: So after all that, the result is that the Sigma is better than the Nikon 1.4 G?!? I tend to not believe that......

Quite a few reviewers rated the Sigma as better. But if you notice, the Sigma is huge. They may have designed it a bit oversized so there is a larger "sweet spot" that hits the sensor.

Most reactions

Back