Nikon 50mm1.4D vs Nikon 50mm1.4G

Auslese

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone out there used both of these lenses? I am reading that the D model is slow to focus and does not have it's own motor, but which takes better pictures, that is all I care about. Also Ken Rockwell says this about the new G model.

"If you worry about straight lines or distortion, this is the worse 50mm lens ever made by Nikon since at least 1950, and I've tried them all, even for their rangefinder cameras. For low distortion, any of the f/1.8 lenses are nearly perfect. The 50mm f/2 and other f/1.4 lenses are all better than this 50/1.4G. The 50mm f/1.2 (only made for pros, so it's manual-focus only) is about the same, but still has a a hair less distortion than this 50/1.4 AF-S."

Which really gives me pause, I have a 24mm 2.8D which is stunning at close range. I am looking however to improve on low light under forest canopy conditions, so if the old 50mm d model is in the same class as the 24mm then all is fine. As for the new focus motor, sometimes less is more, and once focus is achieved I can shoot away anyway, as I do not shoot single shots typically. Not sure if the new G model is made of plastic vs metal like the older ones? Thanks

From what I've read the G is an improvement over the D, however teh 1.8G performs much better than the 1.4G in all regards except for shooting at f/1.4.

Anyone out there used both of these lenses? I am reading that the D model is slow to focus and does not have it's own motor, but which takes better pictures, that is all I care about. Also Ken Rockwell says this about the new G model.

"If you worry about straight lines or distortion, this is the worse 50mm lens ever made by Nikon since at least 1950, and I've tried them all, even for their rangefinder cameras. For low distortion, any of the f/1.8 lenses are nearly perfect. The 50mm f/2 and other f/1.4 lenses are all better than this 50/1.4G. The 50mm f/1.2 (only made for pros, so it's manual-focus only) is about the same, but still has a a hair less distortion than this 50/1.4 AF-S."

Which really gives me pause, I have a 24mm 2.8D which is stunning at close range. I am looking however to improve on low light under forest canopy conditions, so if the old 50mm d model is in the same class as the 24mm then all is fine. As for the new focus motor, sometimes less is more, and once focus is achieved I can shoot away anyway, as I do not shoot single shots typically. Not sure if the new G model is made of plastic vs metal like the older ones? Thanks
I have read that about the 1.8 as well, but again after dawn or at dusk under tree cover, or even during daylight in thick areas, I will likely be at 1.4 so as to keep the speed up and reduce camera shake. Thanks

I'd buy it for the DOF (of lack of) over stops of light. That's only a 2/3 difference in speed -- easilly made up in ISO.

The 1.8G is much sharper, has better bokeh when stopped down, shoots into the sun better, and has much less CA (not opinion--see link).

I personally like G lenses over D for speed of focusing, and the manual override.

I'd buy it for the DOF (of lack of) over stops of light. That's only a 2/3 difference in speed -- easilly made up in ISO.

The 1.8G is much sharper, has better bokeh when stopped down, shoots into the sun better, and has much less CA (not opinion--see link).

I personally like G lenses over D for speed of focusing, and the manual override.
Another vote for the Nikon 50mm 1.8G
I had the Nikon 50mm 1.4D and now own the 1.8G, the 1.4D is a good lens but I feel the 1.8G is sharper and overall worth owning plus its cheaper new.

If forced to choose between the 1.4D and 1.4G I would get the 1.4G

Well your 24mm f/2.8 on FF has hyperfocal distance of around 22 ft. So you can take decent landscape shots wide open with most all in focus (not sure what your subject matter is "under forrest canopy conditions". The 50mm f/1.4 has a hyperfocal distance of about 193 ft, of course most often you are looking for the small DOF with that lens wide open.

Anyway, I would go with the G if both were sitting on the table.

The 50/1.8G is sharper than the 50/1.4G
The 50/1.4 G and 1.8G use the same plastic body just the 1.4 uses more glass
The Gs are larger than the smaller Ds (Isn't the 1.8D a plastic body too? I'd have to check)

The G models have Focus Override which can come in handy at times.
The D you have to flip the switch to go into MF mode.

The 50/1.8D focuses as fast as the 50/1.8G in my limited tests. If there's a difference it's very minimal. Tested on a d7000 .. higher bodies may have faster motors.

I've had the 1.8D, 1.8G, 1.4G all at the same time, what fun.

I also had the 24/2.8D which had more distortion than my 24-85/2.8-4 AF-D at 24/2.8 so I sold the 24/2.8D

I currently own the 50/1.8D and 50/1.4G. The 1.8D is so cheap there's no reason not to have it with a 1.4.

I selected the 1.4G for the focus override while doing artistic portrait type shots where flipping the switch on a 1.4D actually would be a hassle (was a hassle on my 1.8D).

I've never tested the 50/1.4G on my brick wall which is what I test for distortion. But I assume like any lens as you fall below 80mm you are going to get some types of distortion and need to compensate for it if you are watching close enough. With in-camera distortion control and Post Processing distortion, vertical and horizontal corrections things can be dealt with to a degree.

For me there were 2 reasons I picked the 1.4G
I wanted f/1.4 for artistic things
and the focus override

but I still have the 1.8D

Last edited:
I have both 5o's, 1.4D and G version but never really tested them. The big difference for me Is the flare. The G version handles it better.

I would buy the D lens because it's more compatible throughout the line, but that's me.

I shoot LOTS of cameras including film, and also mirrorless with adapters. Yes, you can get G adapters for every kind of mirrorless, but I would rather have the ring.

BTW I own both, both are good lenses.

I would buy the D lens because it's more compatible throughout the line, but that's me.

The line being the model lines? Like a D3xxx vs a D7xxxx?

For AutoFocus, the G is compatible with more Nikon cameras which include the d3x00 and d5x00 models
The AF/AF-D, for AutoFocus, is only compatible with bodies with an in-body focus motor such as d90, d7x00, and all of the FullFrame digital models.

D7xxxx? that's a d70,000 model ? I haven't seen one :)

Last edited:
BTW,
doesn't the OP use a d7100 DX camera.
The 50mm's are all FX lenses
So the image edges won't really matter as they're cropped off.

D7xxxx? that's a d70,000 model ? I haven't seen one :)

I'm about to turn your eyes into little x's.

4287315404_e31dca6d8a.jpg

No, it's compatible with a LOT of the camera line that Nikon has produced. G lenses can be used on ALMOST any AIS compatible cameras, including almost all of the film camera line. I regularly use mine on my F2, my FM & my F3HS and they work great.

BTW,
doesn't the OP use a d7100 DX camera.
The 50mm's are all FX lenses
So the image edges won't really matter as they're cropped off.

One buys lenses for 20-40 YEARS worth of service, not for one digital camera.

I am shooting one lens (a 50mm) that my father shot when he was posted at Da Nang in Vietnam in 1967, I use it regularly. He bought it new in 1964, so it's 51 years old and still lovely (albeit the paint is pretty worn). I also use the E series 100mm f/2.8 I bought in HS, one of my favorite lenses to this day, and and it's nearly 40 years old.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back