Nikon 5100 - Beginner Additions

Abelethan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently purchased the 5100 with the kit lens and got the 55-200 at the same time. I have been reading here quite a bit that getting a 30mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 is a good investment but also that getting a light SB-700 is another good purchase. Guess my question is of these which is the one to get. I have about 350 or so to spend and wanted to make sure I get the most out of it.

The SB-700 will offer you the most return on your money right now. The things you can do with a TTL body and Speedlight are nothing short of incredible.

Also this video guide to using the system is simply amazing. You will never find a better use for $33 in all of Photography.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Of course, just my humble opinion, wait! It's so easy to get caught up reading all the mumbo jumbo on line leading to NAS. (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). Use your camera, get used to it, figure out what you like to shoot. For most the "nifty fifty" is a must have, but not for everyone. A good way to test, set your lens to 35mm one day and walk around and take pictures of everything you can think of. The next day set it to 50mm and do the same. A flash is always a great upgrade. Maybe you will decide you really like macro, then your money will be better spent on a macro lens. A good tripod can be a very wise investment as well and can result in much better images. That is why I say wait a bit and decide what will suit you the best. Everyone in every forum is very opinionated and will tell you how to depart with your hard earned money. just my humble opinion...

That is, of course, good advice. Until you know exactly what you want to do with your camera, you don't really know what you need. And buying stuff because someone suggested it is usually a bad idea.

I only mentioned a flash unit because it's such a universally handy thing to have in your bag. Even for macro work. Having an external and portable light source is as valuable for bugs and flowers as anything else.

There are lots of directions to go from where you are as folks have mentioned... fast primes, tripod, off camera flash, they're all totally valuable. I think the way to approach it is to think of what you like to shoot most, and then think of what about your current gear is holding you back when you shoot that subject. If you like to shoot indoor candids, maybe a prime is the way to go. If you like landscape and nature, maybe you should get a tripod. If you want to do nice portraits or food photography, maybe you need a flash. All depends on your intent.

Great responses...not sure it gets me any closer to making a decision. I can see great uses for both, if only I had an extra 200 bucks. Although that would probley just open a more expensive category of lens.

Most reactions

Back