Nikon 55-200mm VR - rattle?

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I noticed that my Nikon 55-200 VR lens has a rattle noise when it is off the camera. I haven not checked yet to see if the rattle occurs when on the camera.

Is this normal?

make sure it's not the aperture lever that you hear.
Hold the aperture lever on the body side of the lens then try rattling it again.

Yep. That article likely has your answer.

Many don't notice in their Nikon user manuals where it says that the camera needs to be turned off before you mount or dismount a lens.

Yep. That article likely has your answer.

Many don't notice in their Nikon user manuals where it says that the camera needs to be turned off before you mount or dismount a lens.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. I usually do turn off the camera before changing lenses, and usually don't keep my camera on even when walking around in between photos.

Maybe I just didn't in this case, or I turned it off and removed too quickly before it had a chance to secure the image stabilizing pieces.

Yeah I did that once with one of my lenses. Now I am in the habit of shutting off my VR, and the camera body before taking the lens off.

I don't turn on VR unless I need it.
If you don't need it it's using up some amount of camera battery power if you leave it on.
VR is useless in many shooting scenarios, like anytime your shutter speed is 1/500 of faster.

Most reactions

Back