Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr2 rattling inside

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just now noticed that my lens is starting to rattle and when i look though it i can see one of the elements before the aperture blades is moving. I don't see this as something normal but I checked with a friend who has the same lens and he seemed to do the same thing. I'm just not seeing a good reason why this should be normal and would like to hear if any of you guys have experienced the same thing or can testify that its normal.

Thanks.

Return it or get it fixed by the manufacturer. Good rule of thumb is, if any electronic device(s) that's not meant to rattle, clink or move it is a bad sign.

Great, I'll be without it for a few weeks. Boooooo. Hahaha

Thanks guys.

Mount it, turn you camera on and off and then see if it still rattles. If you dismount a VR lens while the VR is active, it will rattle.

SO, ANOTHER person's lens of the same model does the same,exact thing...and you think your lens is defective? Am I getting that right?

From Nikon Lens Manual, if this doesn't fix it then send it back to Nikon

Using Vibration Reduction: Notes sing Vibration Reduction: Notes
• When using vibration reduction, press the shutter-release button halfway and wait
for the image in the viewfi nder to stabilize before pressing the shutter-release button the rest of the way down.
• When vibration reduction is active, the image in the viewfi nder may be blurred after
the shutter is released. This does not indicate a malfunction.
• Slide the vibration reduction mode switch to NORMAL for panning shots. When the
camera is panned, vibration reduction applies only to motion that is not part of the
pan (if the camera is panned horizontally, for example, vibration reduction will be
applied only to vertical shake), making it much easier to pan the camera smoothly
in a wide arc.
• Do not turn the camera off or remove the lens while vibration reduction is in eff ect.
If power to the lens is cut while vibration reduction is on, the lens may rattle when
shaken. This is not a malfunction, and can be corrected by reattaching the lens and
turning the camera on.
• If the camera is equipped with a built-in fl ash, vibration reduction will be disabled
while the fl ash charges

From Nikon Lens Manual

Using Vibration Reduction: Notes sing Vibration Reduction: Notes
• When using vibration reduction, press the shutter-release button halfway and wait
for the image in the viewfi nder to stabilize before pressing the shutter-release button the rest of the way down.
• When vibration reduction is active, the image in the viewfi nder may be blurred after
the shutter is released. This does not indicate a malfunction.
• Slide the vibration reduction mode switch to NORMAL for panning shots. When the
camera is panned, vibration reduction applies only to motion that is not part of the
pan (if the camera is panned horizontally, for example, vibration reduction will be
applied only to vertical shake), making it much easier to pan the camera smoothly
in a wide arc.
• Do not turn the camera off or remove the lens while vibration reduction is in eff ect.
If power to the lens is cut while vibration reduction is on, the lens may rattle when
shaken. This is not a malfunction, and can be corrected by reattaching the lens and
turning the camera on.
• If the camera is equipped with a built-in fl ash, vibration reduction will be disabled
while the fl ash charges

Seems like greybeard Read The Furnished Manual...lol...nice one!!!

yeah, I noticed this a lot when using the 70-200 with a Nikon v1, as it is a mirrorless camera, it used VR constantly when turned on and when turned off it would leave the element loose to rattle like you describe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back