Nikon 70-200 f2.8G lens

toooldtowait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why are the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 G lenses in such short supply? The prices have jumped and the only sites with decent prices are all 'out of stock' or 'back ordered'.

Is this an American supply thing maybe? I know they aren't sold out in our local stores and haven't gone up in price. Could be supply chain issues. I know when I bought my D200 the 18-70mm lens was missing from the Australian supply chain due to a screw-up on Nikon's side, but internationally they were easily available.

here (at least where i am) in canada, it's an easy lens to buy. sometimes out of stock, but usually not.
i'm not 100% sure, but it could be because their warehouse is about 4 hours from here.

Garbz said:
Is this an American supply thing maybe? I know they aren't
sold out in our local stores and haven't gone up in price.
Could be supply chain issues.
I know when I bought my D200 the 18-70mm lens was missing
from the Australian supply chain due to a screw-up on Nikon's
side, but internationally they were easily available.
Garbz said:
In Israel, I'm waiting for the 70-200 for about a month,
and I'm told that there's global shortage.
With small shipments, there may be lenses in some places
and shortage in others.

When I wanted the 18-200, I read about the shortage,
called the shop anyway, and he had it on the shelve...

Just bought one here in Cincinnati, Ohio. Cord Camera said that it was going to be a month before they could get me one in. I got the same response from Adorama, and B&H when I called. I ended up buying one off of Ebay. Apparentlly there is a shortage of them because they can't make them fast enough to keep up with the demand. It's funny, because at such a high price you wouldn't think that there would be that many people able to buy them...

B&H got some in last weekend. Mine arrived today. Now I have the 'new trinity' according to David Busch. So, now to take some pictures.

Why are the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 G lenses in such short supply? The prices have jumped and the only sites with decent prices are all 'out of stock' or 'back ordered'.

One of the sales reps at Pro Photo Supply in Portland OR (USA) told me it was because of the Olympics. Apparently lots of pros bought up all the long glass for that event.

There will probably be lots of stolen ones available in Beijing soon, ha ha!!

Also, a sales rep at my local pro shop told me that lots of pros switched from Canon to Nikon when the D3 came out. "Nikon has done a very good job of getting those cameras into the hands of pros," he said.

It's nice that Nikon is popular again. I have most of the lenses I want -- I got what seems to be the last 300 mm f4 in the country -- so I'm not doing too bad.

Bummer for you, though. If it helps any, I too am waiting for 70-200 f2.8 G to come back in stock.

B&H Photo have them in stock NOW, Monday, August 4, 2008 if you HURRY!!

I know it has been one of the hottest selling lenses in the Nikon line. The shops I went to had them sold out and, back ordered. I got an 80-400 instead. Since B&H was out of that when I wanted it.

New version coming out soon - should address vignetting issues with some full frame sensors.

New version rumored on 80-400 as well - THAT lens is well overdue for updating.

Supplies run down before new versions come out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back