Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G users what do we think?

I'm looking for a Indoor Sports / Portrait / Wedding lens. Just for part time fun stuff really.

Anyone got any feedback on it?

i love mine

Both the VRI and VRII versions are excellent. Fast aperture. Very fast and quiet focus. Sharp as can be. Just an awesome lens. on the negative side...big and HEAVY!

I used to have the 80-200 AF-D and now have the 70-200 AF-S VRII and am surprised how much heavier the new lens is in comparison.

It is probably one of the benchmark lenses of all time. Ask any pro what's in their kit, and you will get a wide variety of answers, but I almost guarantee that the 70-200 will be a universal reply.

In short... If I had the choice of only one of my lenses, that would be it.

Last edited:
I've got the VRI and all the reviews are correct. Fantastic lens.

Just be mindful of one thing........ once you get the good glass, you've entered into a new realm. Get your financial matters in order. It's addictive and costly. clicky :biggrin:

I picked up the VRII about a month ago. I am loving every moment of having it in my bag.

I have only shot some golf, so not really that much action. I hope to find some action to take shots of soon.

For just part time fun stuff, why not the AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D, 2 ring, at half the cost.

I had the VR and traded up to the VR2. The VR carried our business well and was awesome. The VR2 seems sharper at full reach and is rock steady.

For "part time fun" you may want to consider saving yourself a bundle and going for a 80-200mm af f2.8. You can get mint examples used for less then $600 these days. Mine was only $500.

You sacrifice a bit of focus speed and vr, but you save yourself $1500.

I agree with the suggestion on a used 80-200mm f/2.8 instead. I picked up a new two-ring version a year ago (just before the big Nikon price hike) and am quite happy with it. Amazing lens really. Yes you lose VR and AF-S. However, if you're shooting sports you won't be using VR anyway, and the faster focusing speed of the AF-S lens will only prove its worth in the most critical action.

Don't buy the 80-200 new though. At 1099 USD (last I checked) it's just too much for what it is. You might as well just spend a few hundred more and get a used 70-200 VR.

For "part time fun" you may want to consider saving yourself a bundle and going for a 80-200mm af f2.8. You can get mint examples used for less then $600 these days. Mine was only $500.

You sacrifice a bit of focus speed and vr, but you save yourself $1500.

this is what i would do. i borowed my friend s 80-200mm 2.8 D and i was more than pleased with it. in my book, its the best bang for the buck right now.

More reviews please :D

Most reactions

Back