Nikon 70-300MM F4-5.6 ED

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For what body? You should honestly double your budget and by the latest version of that lens .

For a D3200. And there is absolutely NO way the wife will let me lay down $300 on a lens.

the unfortunate reality is that this is a hobby that requires some money to do what you really want to do.
Put the 150 away and save up for the rest- and you won't be sorry.
Buy that 150 lens now and you probably will be.

How long are you planning to be with your wife? The VR version will last you quite a while...

In all seriousness, if you could save up you might be better off.

This will give you an idea of the difference between the old and new version of that lens, don't throw away your money on the old version. Save and get the VR version. Just roll your mouse over the sample for it to switch from one to the other.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor Lens Image Quality

For a D3200. And there is absolutely NO way the wife will let me lay down $300 on a lens.

It is a decent 70-300mm lens...it "was" the best 70-300 Nikon made until the 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 AF-S VR-G hit the market. And $125 used is a fair price, buuuuuut there's one major issue: the D3200 cannot autofocus with that lens, since the ED version uses screw-driven focusing that relies on a focusing motor inside the camera to power the focusing mechanism's "screw"...

SO, on a D3200 or D5000-series, the 70-300 ED Nikkor is strictly MANUAL, hand-powered focusing...and that REALLY cuts down on the accuracy and the usefulness of the lens.

Good Catch on manual focus by Derrel. I think the OP would have been really disappointed more so from this.

Thanks god my wife would not notice if I buy another body, never mind another lense.... And no, there was no pun in that phrase..

Why not just get a 55-200vr used $125-$150. Its a decent lens for the money

Why would you need permission from your wife? If it's that bad, just use your own money to buy the lens, not shared money.

Lol, "own money"..... How long have you been married? I don't ask permission either, but I can work all the OT I want, or if I really want something I can't afford I just sell some crap from one of my other ridiculously expensive hobbies. God knows I have enough of them....

Most reactions

Back