Nikon 995, coolpix 4500, what's next? suggestions needed

afghanjohn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
johnmarion.com
I moved from a 35 mm SLR back in 2002 to a Nikon coolpix 995.

Then a year later I went with the coolpix 4500. When I made that change I was actually disappointed because I liked the 995 better (and I gave that to another photographer who was working with me in Afghanistan). I think the 995 handled lighting better and produced sharper images, dispite the lower pixal rate compared to the 4500.

Now I'm ready to go with another digital camara.

The compact design of both the 995 and the 4500 is very appealing and works well with my shooting style when I'm in Afghanistan. I really like the way both camaras are designed with the two sections turning, this makes it very versitle.

Does anybody have any recomendation for me? I'm willing to consider other brands too.

John
Kabul Film and Media
http://www.kabulmedia.com

I'll get in first and say D50 or EOS350D then shall I!

We can help you better if you list your requirements in order of priority: Picture quality? Budget? Size of camera? End use of the pictures?

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I saw the D50 listed in another thread. Maybe it was you who was mentioning it there too. I'll check it out.

Here are my requirements....

Picture quality must be better than the Nikon coolpix 4500, which is 4.0 pixals and a lousy lens (the 995 was better -- in my opinion).

Budget? What budget? Well let's say in the $400 to $600 range.

End use of pictures is for royalty free content. Most of my customers are graphics designers.

Ritz had the CoolPix 8400 for $399. Limited to in stock only now, though my store said they could get it from other stores. They have about a billion stores. It is a GREAT camera at that price. I always look at the discontinued Nikons as the bottom usually falls out on price. Doesn't work if you want the lastest thing, though.

Nikon CoolPix 8400

Thanks for this recommendation. I'll check it out. I like this what I read on their web site:

"[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica]The Coolpix 8400's enhanced, fully-articulating 1.8-inch color LCD allows the photographer to shoot at virtually any angle in order to get the best shot. The LCD is also optimized for easy viewing in bright sunlight."

The feature of the 995 and 4500 of being able to turn the view screen helped me to get a lot of good shots. Holding the camera waist high often gives some great opportunities for good shots.

I hope the 8400 is better than the 4500. I seemed to get better quality shots with the 995 when I had that compared to the 4500, which has been a major disappointment to me.
[/FONT][/FONT]

I got my 8400 for macro work, mainly, but it has proven itself under a lot of different conditions. It's quite a 'pro-sumer'. Check it out it may or may not be for you. I like the file size, battery power and the wide angle ED lens. It will stuff into a large pocket. Post back when you get something. Good luck.

PS. Normally I would not recommend Ritz but this is a good deal. I get some printing done there. Their service is okay but you can usually do better on price somewhere else. If you do get it there sign up for the Ritz card. Printing is cheaper and they send you coupons for enlargements after you have spent so much.

I know what you mean about Ritz. I normally avoid them if possible, but I have used them for some prints once in a while.

I'm going to seriously consider the 8400 for sure. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like it's what I need. I just want to see the actual quality of the shots it takes before I buy this time, considering my disappointment with the 4500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back