I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If any of you Nikon honks could help me out, it would be much appreciated. ;)

I'm teaching a class on how to use a DSLR...and this time around, I've got a class of all Nikon shooters (on purpose).
Now, the older or more entry level model have three AF modes. AF-S, AF-C and AF-A.
AF-S being the 'single shot' mode.
AF-C being the continuous mode (AF Servo in Canon speak)
and AF-A being the 'hybrid' mode, similar to 'AF Focus' in Canon speak.

Now, my question is about some of the newer/higher level models that don't specifically have AF-A...but instead have several other AF options. In my class, there is a D300 and a D300s.

Can someone give me a debriefing on those other modes & options? I don't have access to these cameras but I'd like to have a better understanding of these cameras, in order to better help my students.

I am downloading the manuals and I'll read through them when I have some time...but it may be hard to figure out, as I won't have a camera to play with.

D300(s) has AF-C, AF-S and M focus modes and 3 metering modes, spot, ceter weighted and matrix. There are also shutter release modes like single, low speed and high speed, timed, mirror up and quiet mode release.

For the D300..... Focus mode selector located on front of body next to lens release button. Choices are C, S or M.

C, AF-C: Continuous servo. The camera focuses continuously while shutter-release is half pressed or AF-ON is pressed. If the subject moves, camera will engage predictive focus tracking to predict final distance to subject and adjust focus as necessary. In the Custom Menu section, AF-C priority can be selected to Release (push the button and it fires), Release and Focus (photos can be taken even when camera is not in focus) or Focus (photos can only be taken when focus indicator is displayed in the viewfinder)

S, AF-S: Single sservo. The camera focuses when shutter-release button is half pressed. Focus locks when in-focus indicator appears in the viewfinder and remains locked as long as shutter-release is half pressed (or AF-ON button is pressed). In the Custom Menu section, AF-S priority can be selected to Release (push the button and it fires) or Focus (photos can only be taken when focus indicator is displayed in the viewfinder).

M, Manual. 'nuff said.

AF Area Mode
Single point - as you would expect, camera focuses only on one user selected point.

Dynamic Area - (in continuous servo AF) user selects focus point manually. If subject briefly moves selected focus point, camera will focus based on information from surrounding points. Number of focus points can be selected as 9, 21, 51 or 51(3D-tracking). If 51(3D-tracking) is selected, focus point will be selected automatically using 3D-tracking.
(in single servo AF) user selects focus point.

Most reactions

Back