Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
are the DX ones bad to use on a D40x?

wuts different about the DX opposed to just
the AF-S? if any?

are the DX ones bad to use on a D40x?

wuts different about the DX opposed to just
the AF-S? if any?

DX on a Nikon lens means it is designed for cameras with APS-c sized sensors (smaller than full frame) such as, for example, the D40, D40x, D50, D80, D200, D300...

Which is to say that DX will work only on cameras like the D40 up to the D300, whereas you'd need a non-DX lens for the D3. However non-DX lenses work on all cameras.

Which is to say that DX will work only on cameras like the D40 up to the D300, whereas you'd need a non-DX lens for the D3. However non-DX lenses work on all cameras.

Non-DX AF-S lenses will work on all Nikon's including the D40/X and new D60.

(Nikon calls non-DX DSLR's FX )

The D3 is compatible with DX lenses, the viewfinder automatically masks and the sensor automatically crops, putting you down to a resolution of 5.1 mp, but adding 2fps (9-11) in continuous shooting mode. Sources are Nikon and dpreview.

The D3 is compatible with DX lenses, the viewfinder automatically masks and the sensor automatically crops, putting you down to a resolution of 5.1 mp, but adding 2fps (9-11) in continuous shooting mode. Sources are Nikon and dpreview.

True but then any full frame camera, even film, is "compatible" if you're going to eliminate a large chunk of the sensor. It may work but I still don't consider it as compatible in my eyes given the sacrifice in resolution. This is just a personal view though I probably shouldn't have said it, you are right in this case it is fully supported.

A full frame sensor that did not realize it had a smaller format lens would equal massive vignetting - which would be my definition of incompatible. As I always say, to each their own. For some people the trade of resolution for 2fps is worth it. And a quality 5.1 mp sensor can make some pretty good pictures.

No doubt. It did in the Nikon D2H days. Hey does it drop all the way down to 5.1mpx to get the high speed crop going? I would have thought it would be higher than that?

It can only do 11 fps with a DX format lens. With the full sensor it maxes out at 9 fps. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of time that the camera needs to process the information from 12 MP from the full frame and 5MP from the crop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back