Nikon announces D3x

Hard to say I NEED this feature, but I think it's cool for landscape work. At night the little bubble on my tri-pod is extremely hard to see.

Electronic virtual horizon
An accelerator sensor incorporated in the body of the camera detects inclination and displays it in the LCD monitor. In Live View shooting, virtual horizon is displayed in the LCD above the monitor image. It can also be displayed in the top control panel and in the exposure indicator of the viewfinder.

Kind of a weak upgrade I think. Though if it is 16-bit that would be nice. I am still switching to Canon as soon as my pre ordered 5D Mark II gets here (Hopefully soon sense I ordered it on Sept 20th and it looks like they have started shipping them)

I thought the almost 50mb RAW files was too large. What's that, 20 shots and you have a GB? Portable and internal hard drives better increase in size and decrease in price. But..........I don't expect MANY people to upgrade to the x. I don't see it's worth. Basically a slower D3 and almost 25 mp? I'd rather go with a Hasselblad! :)

~Michael~

I believe Calumet is taking pre orders. http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/NZ24031/?t=CM01&a=CM01

This is the perfect camera for my needs period. How could you have a file that was too large? Plus I think 8 grand gets you a lot of camera. Too bad DX lenses will only allow you to use 10mp as opposed to a non DX lens. OOps on Nikon. Anyone have 8 grand I could borrow? I'll pay it back...

Love & Bass

I'm a little sad that they chose to keep up with the mega pixel race. I think they had a real opportunity to jump on the seemingly thousands of people that don't want a ton of mega pixels but even better image quality. I can't tell you how many that I have talk to that were furious about Canons chose to put 21mp in the new 5DmkII. I think Nikon had a real chance to put the final blow on it's arguable reign of image quality.

I believe Calumet is taking pre orders. http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/NZ24031/?t=CM01&a=CM01

This is the perfect camera for my needs period. How could you have a file that was too large? Plus I think 8 grand gets you a lot of camera. Too bad DX lenses will only allow you to use 10mp as opposed to a non DX lens. OOps on Nikon. Anyone have 8 grand I could borrow? I'll pay it back...

Judging by how prices fell with Nikon products in the last 2 months, if you wait 2-4 months, the D3x will drop anywhere from 500-1000 bucks. ;)

Hard to say I NEED this feature, but I think it's cool for landscape work. At night the little bubble on my tri-pod is extremely hard to see.

I see this as pretty worthless feature that actually means well.

Which horizon line is it centering on ? yours, or your subject from your point of view. Any semi busy city shot will have 2-3 things you could chose to straighten on, many many times it comes down to choosing which one to level your shot against, and many many times its a choice between leveling vertical OR horizontal, sometimes nothing in the shot is straight but the telephone pole is.

Many times where your standing is off by 10 degrees, you have to always compensate for this stuff unless your shooting in the middle of the desert.

I'm a little sad that they chose to keep up with the mega pixel race. I think they had a real opportunity to jump on the seemingly thousands of people that don't want a ton of mega pixels but even better image quality. I can't tell you how many that I have talk to that were furious about Canons chose to put 21mp in the new 5DmkII. I think Nikon had a real chance to put the final blow on it's arguable reign of image quality.

They should read the specs better before they get upset lol, Cannon offers 3 raw formats on that camera. one is normal size, but the other 2 are 10mp and 5mp yes these are alternative raw options on that camera.

link
http://photo.net/equipment/canon/5D-mkII/preview/
(about a page down or so)

Too bad DX lenses will only allow you to use 10mp as opposed to a non DX lens. OOps on Nikon.

Love & Bass
I dont see that as a problem. The DX image circle is smaller and has to be compensated for. Besides I personally would never use my only DX lens on a camera like that. I have a D300 and it is made for DX. I only wish they would have brought the higher ISO performance with the increase in MPs.

LOL, [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0[/ame]

sorry you've seen this already, but I found it particularly amusing.

Most reactions

Back