Nikon argument

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I originally got into nikon because the mounts dont change. Basically someone told me i could mount any nikon lens from like 1970 or something on a nikon, all the same mount. So i figured it would save me glass money. I have now a few lenses (some old) and for low $$ invested. My question is, does this argument still hold true? I know they have lens adaptors and things, i am not sure if nikon has changed mounts recently, and not sure if other manufacturers are promising to keep the same mounts. As i am buying other than nikon cameras now i starting to get concerned as i was pretty much sticking with old nikons

I loved my Nikon gear till it became too heavy for me to carry around......

I loved my Nikon gear till it became too heavy for me to carry around......
I love mine too. Just a lot to lug around but also if i see something by the time i change lenses i missed the shot. I have fun with my nikon stuff though, and being older (less expensive) i worry less when using it. I have no intention of giving up my old nikon stuff. Just branching out for other tools that might fit the occasion better.

I think the only change recently was with their mirrorless Z6 and Z7. From what little I know, you can use an adapter on those cameras except for the af-d type lenses. Other mirrorless brands have the adapters for your glass but may be limited to manual focus. There are also some limitations on certain lenses that recess into the camera bodies and may damage the mirror on a DSLR.

Nikon is about as good as it gets at keeping things backward compatible. The new Z series cameras with the Z to F mount adapter are fully compatible with all AF-S and AF-P lenses. AF-D and AF lenses will not auto focus as there is no in body focusing motor. I would speculate that somebody will make an adapter with a screw drive motor to make these older lenses fully functional with the new Z cameras.

There is marketing smoke and mirrors here.

The F mount itself has not changed since the the 1960s.

BUT . . . the various lens coupling to the body has;
  • for the aperture ring (pre-AI and AI),
  • lack of aperture ring (G controlled by the camera),
  • autofocus (AF and AF-D = mechanical, AF-S = electronic, AF-P = pulse electronic).
It is all these BUTS that affect if a specific lens will mount or work with a specific camera.
D3xxx and D5xxx camera cannot autofocus AF or AF-D lenses, they do not have an in-body AF motor.
D7200 cannot use unconverted pre-AI lenses, or you will damage the aperture ring follower.
AF-P lenses will NOT work on older cameras, and have reduced functionality with recent cameras.
I do not like manually focusing my AF or AF-D lenses. The focus throw is too small.​

The new mount is the Z mount for the mirrorless Z6 and Z7.

Nikon is still on the same mount they introduced in the 1950s and changed in 1977 (you have to convert earlier lenses). Of course the details are constantly changed over the decades, but you still can get old lenses to work with current cameras.

Nikon has made a couple other camera system, like their rangefinder (Nikon S, long discontinued), their tiny sensor digital (Nikon One, it seems dead now) and most recently a small format mirrorless (Nikon Z).

Some people on forums act as if the Z mount would replace the F mount but I dont think that will happen. In fact so far I see more of a problem of Nikon taking the Z system any serious at all. So far its just a pretty embarassing "me too" product. They publically stated that the Z7 and Z6 are not meant for professionals. Considering their price thats pretty shocking.

There is a Nikon F to Z adapter, but IMHO its disappointing in functionality, since old screwdrive lenses dont get autofocus.

Unlike the other two systems this one will probably stay, though.

Well if Nikon introduces a Z mount D900 what will that do.
Would I swap all my F mounts to Z's should that occur - depends on the market ($) used lenses are usually over priced if the technology has moved on.
On the other hand a 100 Mpx in a D850 chassis with a Z mount ... I'd have to think about that one!

There wont be a Z mount D900 because any such camera would start with a "Z" in the name.

I would estimate that Nikon will require about a decade until the lens selection for the Z mount can realistically compete with the lens selection for the F mount, even if they wanted to drop the F mount.

That alone is why I dont understand why so many people on forums seriously act as if Nikon will drop the F mount tomorrow. Of course they wont.

And 100 Mpx on a D850 with a Z mount, okay, I give up, that makes no sense whatsoever.

And 100 Mpx on a D850 with a Z mount, okay, I give up, that makes no sense whatsoever.

That is what they said when they had 5MP dSLRs.
The technology and marketing race will keep pushing the MP numbers up and up.

But I agree with you, just how many MP do you need to print a 4x6 print? I come up with 2.1MP at 300 dpi.

The Z cameras are really a different “system” camera with the adapter just a bone tossed to the F-mount faithful. The limit on backward compatibility is arguably F-mount DSLRs that handle MF Ai through AF-S optics with some degree of metering, automation and EXIF communication. Smoke ‘em while you got ‘em.

No shortage of evidence that off brand lenses for the Z cameras are coming.

Most reactions

Back