Nikon auto FP high speed sync questions

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D-90 and a SB-600 flash with an 18-105 kit lens. I know that high speed sync is set in the camera. I checked my manual on Pg. 195. It says that hi-speed is available in P,S,A and M. In the camera menu, I went to Custom Settings and pressed E, bracketing/flash. Then turned on Auto FP (e5). When I press Flash Shutter speed (E1) the sync only goes up to 1/60. I usually shoot in P (programed auto), but the only way I can set the shutter speed is on Shutter priority using the command dial. Shouldn't the higher shutter speeds show up in the menu under Flash shutter speed (e-1)? What am I missing? maybe metering? Checked Utube too and I'm still stumped. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Tom Beard

Tom,
I'm a bit confused on your last 3lines so forgive me if what i say is redundant.
In P mode, you ONLY adjust your ISO, nothing else. Camera decides the rest. In A, you'll only adjust the ISO and Aperture while shutter speed will be selected by the camera and in S, you'll set shutter speed and ISO while aperture will be adjust by the camera.
The FP comes into play when you're shooting at shutter speeds faster then (i think on d90 is 1/250sec).
go to M mode (in doors) set the camera to 1/320 and take a shot w/ flash, you'll see what it does.
Also, HIGHLY recommend you watch this guy, his videos are pretty good

PM me if you want to further digest the 411

Last edited by a moderator:
Also reference page 48 of your SB-600 users manual.

Once you turned on Auto FP per page 195 you are essentially done.

Auto FP is a TTL mode. The camera and speedlight automatically adjust the shutter speed, except when you use the Shutter Priority (S) shooting mode. To use S mode, you do not set the shutter speed in menu e1, you just set it using the rear command wheel.

Gentlemen, Thanks for the help. I had a hunch my problem had a stupid-simple solution. I guess I really didn't understand either the concept or what I was doing and why. Thanks as always. Tom B

Most reactions

Back