Nikon Backup Body

brileyphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've currently got a D80 with the grip and it does pretty much everything I need it to do. I have a D100 as my backup but I don't technically own it.

I want my own backup, but I am debating over getting a cheaper body (D70 or D100), or getting a used D2H, D2X, or even the Fuji S3, which would be upgrades from my current setup - leaving me with an awesome body and a very good backup camera. I realize the D2H is 4mp but I could really use the 8 f.p.s.

The D300 and D3 are right out my price range, and the D200 isn't really that much of a step up from the D80.

i use d80 to back up a d300.
d70 was a nice body in its time. but i'd say unless you already own one, forget it exists. never used a d100, so i won't say anything there.
if you could find a cheap d2x/h, they're both great bodies.
the d2h has a low pixel count, but great IQ. i've seen nice 16x20's from d2h files.
also, if you have the S3 in mind, check out the S5. it can be had for 1600 these days, which is pretty reasonable. (i'm starting to think about one of these myself, instead of the d80)

the S5 would actually be my first choice. well, second. i'd buy a d2x over an S5.

The D40 doesn't work for me because I shoot full manual all the time, so I need my shutter speed and aperture control dials. It also won't drive all my lenses.

I will have to check into the S5 though...good tip.

Why not another D80?

Complete inter-changability, no confusion about settings.

I've got the D100 and will be getting the D80 w/vertical grip in a couple of weeks. The 80 will become my primary, and the old 100 will be put on backup status.

Of course, for high speed performance the D2H might still be a viable option ... if the price is right!

I'd love to be moving up to the D300, but, like you, it's just not financially doable at the moment.

I'm thinking D80 x 2 ... that's the ticket!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention: Nikon is dropping the D80 price by $100 before the end of February!

For the money that D2x' are going for, you can get a new D300 and use the D80 for a backup ;)

Of course, for high speed performance the D2H might still be a viable option ... if the price is right!

I'd love to be moving up to the D300, but, like you, it's just not financially doable at the moment.

I'm thinking D80 x 2 ... that's the ticket!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention: Nikon is dropping the D80 price by $100 before the end of February!

a used D2h goes for about 5-700 bucks US, which is pretty damned good considering.

as for having 2 d80s, very functional setup, flawless compatibility, but exact same characteristics.

this may not be a huge factor to some, but at the same time as being a backup body, a few different image or performance characteristics would be somewhat important to me. having the faster frame advance rate of the D2h would be nice, also the colour/tonal gradation and rendition is kind of interesting. same thing with the S5, you have the DR options, film simulation modes.

this way, you could have two similar set-ups with varying results and at the same time, a back up of either one of the two. hope that makes sense.

Well the least I would do is go to another D80 I definately would not step down to a D100 or a D70. I agree with the others and you should upgrade if you are buying a backup. If you can I would save up for a D300.

I did some more research, the S5 does not have the fps I need (I shoot sports a lot). The D300 and a D2x are about the same price right now. However, the first thing I need is a vertical grip for the D300, so instant addition of about $200.
Also, the D2X can give me 8fps cropped as opposed to 6 on the 300. IMHO, the D2x is still worth as much as the D300, even though the 300 is newer, because the D2x is a better camera (as is the D2XS - way out of my price range :) )

I like whoever made the point about having cameras with slightly different characteristics. The D200 is the exact same sensor with the exact same resolution. And I need another grip for it. From what I've read, the D200 is essentially the same camera as the D80 with the buttons moved around.

So thanks for the feedback, but I think I'm probably going to end up with one of the D2 cameras.

Thanks for all the input,

Also, the D2X can give me 8fps cropped as opposed to 6 on the 300. IMHO, the D2x is still worth as much as the D300, even though the 300 is newer, because the D2x is a better camera (as is the D2XS - way out of my price range :) )
with the grip, the d300 shoots at 8fps full res. may want to keep that in mind. even buying the grip a few months down the road would probably do. until then your frame rate is still doubled.

if you could, this is ultimately what i would recommend.

If an upgrading backup, then the D2; if a "downgrading" one, the D70. This would be my choice, if departing from a D80.
However, you mention that actually it would be more than an upgrade, kind of having two cameras to use both. In that case, the D2. The only problem I'd expect would be the risk of leaving the D80 aside more and more...?

I shoot full manual all the time, and use a D40.

I realize that it is possible, but you have to hit the exposure comp button and rotate the dial to change aperture, and if you want to change exposure comp you have to switch back out of M mode = lost time = missed shots = major pain - for me. If the D40 works for what you're doing - awesome. To each their own.

If an upgrading backup, then the D2; if a "downgrading" one, the D70. This would be my choice, if departing from a D80.
However, you mention that actually it would be more than an upgrade, kind of having two cameras to use both. In that case, the D2. The only problem I'd expect would be the risk of leaving the D80 aside more and more...?

I wasn't entirely clear in my OP but my idea would be to switch to the nicer body and use my D80 as the backup/walkaround camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back