Nikon Batteries VS Rechargeable AA's

XtremeElemenT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a battery grip and it has a holder/case thing that allows the use of 6 AA batteries. Now i was wondering if using rechargeable AA's are better and have more power than using 2 of the Nikon standard batteries?

Nowhere close... but if your recharger is left at home 2000 miles away and you have no choice, the AA battery pack is the difference between you getting some pictures... and none.

I bought the MB-D200 grip for my D200. It also came with the AA battery pack, and in a pinch, its better than nothing. Nice thing about the D300s battery grip... you can use AA batteries and get the higher FPS without needing to purchase the more expensive batteries and $200 on a new recharger.

Can't comment on the D-200, But the D300 Grip is way better with AA's instead of the Standard Nikon Battery. I can't comment on the D3 battery in it because I do not want to fork out that much on batteries.

I like using AAs in the grip. It saves the propietary batteries for the body. I carry quite a few AAs and my chargers with me in my vehicle so, I always have some ready at hand. Also those cheap little travel soap carriers (at Dollar Stores) hold a dozen at a time.

Can't comment on the D-200, But the D300 Grip is way better with AA's instead of the Standard Nikon Battery. I can't comment on the D3 battery in it because I do not want to fork out that much on batteries.

The shelf life on the Nikon Li-Ion battery is much greater than rechargeable AA's. The AA's will need topping off weekly, and the Li-Ion will last for months in storage. Also, the shots per charge with the factory batteries is double or more than with AA's. JMHO.

I don't get it, there's people here who prefer using AAs to the Nikon LiIon batteries? What is your basis of comparison? 6AAs to 1 LiIon or 2 LiIons in the grip?

The LiIons charge faster, don't self deplete anywhere near as quickly as AAs (NiCad or NiMha), and you get more shots from them. If they are lasting longer than you LiIons then it's time to buy a new battery.

I also carry some Alkaline AAs in my case with the adapter for those situations where both LiIons are dead (happened once in the last 2 years).

I agree with Garbz, AAs should only really be used in an emergency. The whole point of a battery grip is using some high-quality batteries in it, and LiOns are just that. More shots, more life, they're just better.

I don't get it, there's people here who prefer using AAs to the Nikon LiIon batteries? What is your basis of comparison?
Simple I have AA's, I have several chargers for AA's, one for my house, one for my car. Enough AA's to power my flashes and grip. They cost a fraction of what the Nikon LiIon batteries do and I can get them anywhere. As well I still get the increased frame rate with the AA's.
If I want to shoot with the battery from a D3 in my grip I need to fork out $129.99 for the battery. another 159.99 for the charger and another 39.99 for the end cap for the D10 Grip to work with that battery. So is it worth it for $329.97. I don't think so, but I am happy to care a few AA's with me. I am going to need them for the Flashes anyway.

Simple I have AA's, I have several chargers for AA's, one for my house, one for my car. Enough AA's to power my flashes and grip. They cost a fraction of what the Nikon LiIon batteries do and I can get them anywhere. As well I still get the increased frame rate with the AA's.
If I want to shoot with the battery from a D3 in my grip I need to fork out $129.99 for the battery. another 159.99 for the charger and another 39.99 for the end cap for the D10 Grip to work with that battery. So is it worth it for $329.97. I don't think so, but I am happy to care a few AA's with me. I am going to need them for the Flashes anyway.

I was referring to the EL3-e, the standard D300 battery. It is Li-ion, lasts longer, charges faster, and it and it's charger are free! (at least the first one that came with the camera) It's not really rocket science. If Nikon thought the camera performed as well or better with AA's, then the wold not include the charger and battery, and still charge the same price for the camera. My F3/MD-4, and F5 both only came with AA trays, and for those cameras it worked very well. In the digital era, the cameras power requirements are so much greater, and our expectations of hundreds or thousands of shots from a battery the old AA penlight battery just can't keep up.

Simple I have AA's, I have several chargers for AA's, one for my house, one for my car. Enough AA's to power my flashes and grip. They cost a fraction of what the Nikon LiIon batteries do and I can get them anywhere.

So it's just convenience then. I thought it may have been performance related which made no sense what so ever unless the Li Ion was truly dead.

So it's just convenience then. I thought it may have been performance related which made no sense what so ever unless the Li Ion was truly dead.

It is a performance thing as well.
The MB-10 Grip is a bit different. I do use a standard Nikon battery as the backup power for the grip, but primarily use AA's. The reason for this is the grip takes 8 AA's, it puts out 12V and increases the frame rate on the D300 from 5 FPS to 8FPS, it works the same on the D700 I just ordered.
So if you want to shoot at the max 8fps you need the D3 battery or 8 - AA's.

SpeedTrap,

As I am about to order the MB-D10 grip for my D300, are there any other peripherials that need to be order at the same time?

I, too, cannot justify the +$300 cost to go down the D3 battery setup now. I have plenty of NiMH batteries to get the higher frame rate.

SpeedTrap,

As I am about to order the MB-D10 grip for my D300, are there any other peripherials that need to be order at the same time?

I, too, cannot justify the +$300 cost to go down the D3 battery setup now. I have plenty of NiMH batteries to get the higher frame rate.

The grip comes with the AA holder and the holder for the standard battery, so as long as you have AA's you should be ready to go.
It does also come with a nice case to put the battery holder you are not using in.
No other items are needed as long as you are not using the D2X/D3 Battery in it. Please note you can only get the increased frame rate with the AA's or D2x/D3 Battery.

On a side note I find it best to set the D300 to use the batteries in the MB-10 First this way if you use them up, you can continue to shoot while you have someone change the batteries in the grip for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back