Nikon Books - Are They Worth It or Not?

blueeyedsuzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All!

Later on today I plan on going and purchasing the David Busch's Guide To Digital Photography for Nikon 3100.

Is it worth purchasing the books that are written for your camera?

Or I guess what I'm asking, would it be worth purchasing this book, or any other DSLR book?

YES, camera-specific manuals can be very much worth the money. I like the Magic Lantern series of small guidebooks. Thom Hogan's website has links to the many "Complete Guide to The Nikon _______" that he has authored. Camera-specific books deal with YOUR camera--and knowing the many intricacies of a modern d-slr is worth its weight in CF cards. Or SD cards. Or Starbucks gift cards! Whatever!

YES, I think buying and reading one of the several camera-specific guidebooks is a very good idea, and well worth the money.

I was going to suggest Thom Hogan as well, but it looks as though the D3100 Guide is not on his website.

I bought a Busch Guide for a D80 and was thoroughly UNimpressed. I think the Magic Lantern may be a good source.

I'm always leery about books/magazines that target specific cameras, or even specifically digital photography. The basics of photography (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) haven't changed much in 100+ years. So buying the 'latest, greatest' book may be more fluff than actual useful content.

But that's not to say that you wouldn't get great info from a camera specific book....

I'm always leery about books/magazines that target specific cameras, or even specifically digital photography. The basics of photography (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) haven't changed much in 100+ years. So buying the 'latest, greatest' book may be more fluff than actual useful content.

But that's not to say that you wouldn't get great info from a camera specific book....

But if one does know know the 'basic stuff', it being in a camera-specific book can't be all that bad.

A book like "David Busch's Guide To Digital Photography for Nikon 3100" is essentially a rehash of the user's manual that Nikon provided with the camera.

However, Nikon doesn't provide a hard copy of the user's manual. Instead it's a PDF file on the software disc that comes with the D3100, or it and other Nikon user's manuals can be downloaded at Nikon Product Manuals available for download

Scott Kelby has a 3 book series that covers a lot of what a new photographer would want to know about doing digital photography. You can get them 1 at a time or all 3 in a set: Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi All!

Later on today I plan on going and purchasing the David Busch's Guide To Digital Photography for Nikon 3100.

Is it worth purchasing the books that are written for your camera?

Or I guess what I'm asking, would it be worth purchasing this book, or any other DSLR book?

I bought it, thought it was very informative!

youtube search - your model cam

Honestly in the internet age, almost any book is worthless. You can practically get info almost on everything for free. It would only be worth it if it can contribute something for you. I fairness, said book has good reviews. But you might want a more comprehensive book on photography in general. After all the manual already discusses the features of the camera. Just my two cents... :)

I bought one of the camera specific books and I thought it was great and I found it very helpful. It went into more detail than the manual did.

My camera manual may teach me the functions of the camera, but it won't tell me how to create photographs.

The manual that came with my truck tells me how to operate the turn signals, start the engine, lock the doors, turn on the air conditioner........ but it doesn't teach me how to drive.

I really liked J. Dennis Thomas' Nikon D3100 Field Guide.

It really goes further than Busch's guide, I think. It will teach you a lot of basics about photography, and how to apply it to YOUR camera. It also clarifies the menus, modes, buttons, how to configure your camera optimally, etc in a clear way that's better than the Nikon Manual. I liked it so much that I also bought the kindle edition so I can always have it with my on my iPhone.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are really two needs pertaining to a book: as a reference read at your leisure, or as a teaching guide. I've got 3 DSLR books to support my D7000 and various speedlights.

As a teaching method, the book by Darrell Young left me almost paralyzed. Way too much information for a newbie. Too much digital techie stuff. I sat on a couch with it for nearly 3 weeks, and took less than 50 pictures during that time. I really learned almost nothing.

Then I picked up the Nikon User Guide that came with the camera. I had neglected it. Within 90-minutes, I was shooting. Pushing buttons. Selecting items from menus. In other words --- learning to master the camera. The Nikon book wins because it is brief and to the point. And action-orientated. You tend to remember information presented in that manner. Better than something which drones on. I guess it is a matter of what stage of learning you are in. Beginner? Use the Nikon book. Intermediate or Advanced? Use a 3rd party book to learn fine points.

Darrell Young's book it almost an encyclopedia. But it doesn't get you going.

On the other hand, the same publisher --- RockyNook --- puts out the Nikon Creative Lighting System book by Mike Hagen. Now, that book gets you shooting while it explains the features of the Nikon SB series speedlights. With some technique and theory about flash photography thrown in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back