Nikon Calibrates their LCD screens?

So, what does Nikon mean by "calibrated"? Anyone know?

A 30 second Google search led me to Nikon's blurb:

"To achieve uniform high-resolution monitor output with any D3 or D300 camera body, each camera is individually RGB-calibrated to Nikon standards at the time of shipping, to achieve precise color reproduction."

A 30 second Google search led me to Nikon's blurb:

"To achieve uniform high-resolution monitor output with any D3 or D300 camera body, each camera is individually RGB-calibrated to Nikon standards at the time of shipping, to achieve precise color reproduction."

Wow. Sounds like marketing rubbish.

Why? Your computer screen and TV can be calibrated, why not an LCD on a camera?

I'll quote Garbz who gave a good responce to this on page 2 of the thread

You can calibrate the LCD all you want. Unless you use it in a controlled environment it won't make a bit of difference. I have used most of the latest generation Nikons and my conclusion is their LCDs are nicer than my D200, but it makes no difference because I still can't see it out in the sun where I use my camera.

If you can see the LCD in the sun, chances are it's too bright when you're in the dark. They can calibrate it all they want but unless we know what conditions they are calibrating for it's utterly useless. I highly doubt they take the photographic principle and calibrate to ~250-300cd for a room that is less than 100lx bright.

Your TV and computer screen might be calibratable but they tend to stay in a single room all the time, where lighting is often fairly stable over the day (positioning so that the sun does not get over the screen or closing the curtains). And as for TVs the calibration does not have to be that precise - sure they can make (and boast) it but overall provided colours are reasonably faithfull most people won't be able to tell - nor do they look for it.

Why? Your computer screen and TV can be calibrated, why not an LCD on a camera?
......Nikon standards. What does that mean? Its marketing.
Actually I do find my D300 shows me the colors fairly accurately when I look. I find also that the GGS LCD protectors seem to make it even better than the bare LCD. Either way my D300s' LCD is way closer than my D80s' ever was.

Wow. Sounds like marketing rubbish.

What is Nikon standards? Who knows, but that doesn't make it marketing gibberish. You may call them up and ask them, and they may provide you with a very clear set of guidelines, they may not.
Just like we at the oil refinery I work at blend all our oil to our standards, which are more strict than Australian Standards.

Pointless yes, it's hard enough to keep a screen calibration constant for even something like 2 weeks, but gibberish, not necessarily. They may actually be doing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back