Nikon/Canon dilemma.

Which lenses? If they're good ones then that might make a difference.

There really isn't much difference between makes so long as what you have will do what you want. They are all just tools to be used and have no bearing on you or anyone else as a person no matter what some people on an internet forum might want you to believe.

Do try a different CF card and if that doesn't help then an inexpensive used Nikon body now would get you by until you save up for whatever you want. Even another D70.

OP, it sounds to me like you’re too new to the hobby to allow a “comfort level” with brand A’s controls to justify an expenditure of several hundred dollars that is otherwise completely unnecessary because you already have a camera from brand B in your hands.

It might be a bit different for us older folks who are set in our ways, invested in a certain path, and maybe have a few extra leisure dollars to spend—but if you’re a teenager saving pennies to buy a Canon, I think you’d do well to learn to love the free Nikon and 2 lenses and spend your money on something else.

Just my $0.02, and by the way, I’m a Canon guy.

Regarding that read error thing, sounds like a card problem, not a camera problem.

Use both
bigthumb.gif

So a single CF card doesn't work and you are leaping to buy a new camera? That is the equivalent of trading your car in because the oil change warning came on.

What most people call "intuitive" design is mostly a matter of learning.

It's entirely possible that because you were using Canon first you've come to expect Nikon controls to be more like Canon...

The Nikon D70 is a great camera. If you've got that + 2 nice lenses it'll be much cheaper if you're a photog on a budget to just get a new compact flash card.

You can certainly learn to use the Nikon controls. What do you feel is so much easier about canon anyways?

I've shot a lot of cameras, and Aperture priority mode and Shutter priority mode pretty much work the same on all cameras. Although Canon uses some funny letters :)

i say sell your nikon and get your canon, if that whats ur head and heart tells you what to do.. but do get a another card in the d70 before you do anything else just to make sure the d70 is still working then all u need is just a new card, save u some $.$, may help u change ur mind ..

also in regards to the canon 60d.. 70d is coming very soon..so as in april..well thats where the rumors has been going anyways, i suggest u wait it out abit before you pull the trigger

My first SLR was a Canon Rebel XT. I had the 18-55 kit lens and a cheap Sigma 55-200. I used it for a long time and a couple of years ago I figured it was finally time for an upgrade. I knew how much I wanted to spend so I checked out the Canon that was in that price range. I think it may have actually been the 60D? Since I did not feel particularly invested in my Canon glass, I had a look at the comparable Nikon: the D7000.

I did lots of research, read lots of reviews, etc. and from what I could gather the Canon had better video capabilities, but the D7000 was better at just about everything else. The Nikon was slightly more expensive but not by a lot. I ended up going with the Nikon, and it was probably a good call. I've barely shot any video. The controls were a little weird at first. I changed the light meter so that it was - on the left and + on the right, like it was on my Canon and as was standard in any math class I have ever been in. Other things I had to get used to but it didn't take very long and I've since forgotten how to work a Canon.

I'm not sure which would be the best choice now, might be worth looking at the 70D vs. the D7100 and figuring out which best suits your needs. I wouldn't worry too much about what controls you are used to because it really doesn't take that long to figure out new controls. I'm sure you will be excited about your new toy and you will spend the time to learn how to use it.

Which Nikon lenses do you have by the way? are they lenses that you would want if you didn't have them already?

I agree with KmH more likely the card.The CF cards are cheap,I mean a heck of lot cheaper then changing gear,process of elimination.Also you may want to look into recovery software for CF card depending windows or OS X.Some may only recover Jpeg or both Jpeg and raw. If you did not format the card the data is still there. maybe this its open source free. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Last edited:
Before buying an expensive new camera with new lenses as well, check out what is really the problem with the CF card, it might be that your doing something wrong and the whole 'problem' is user related, CF very rarely get damaged...and if it is damaged buy a new card...its a much wiser thing to do...anyway for a teen that doesn't work and doesn't have tons of money...may i ask why are you craving the canon 60d so much?...my 2 cents is to go buy a new CF card and see in a camera store if your current one is faulty or not..and if you can take out the pictures in it...one doesn't buy a new camera & lenses only because a CF card doesn't work...

Hello there!

Another option would be to check ebay and see how much $ you can get from your Nikon gear, then see how much more you need to save to get the 60D and the lens(es) you want. If it's not that much, I'd suggest going for the Canon.

The Nikon may feel a bit outdated, but I'm sure it's a fine camera. For many people, 6 megapixels is a turn-off these days even as good as the camera may be.

I dunno, I've owned a D70, and IMO, even the XTi knocks it out of the park in comparison. I didn't own mine for long because I was not impressed with the IQ at all.

I'd say if you really want a Canon, you should find your way into one. Even if it's not a 60D.

Which Nikon lenses do you have? That would help set the replacement cost. for food Photography- what lens are you looking at?

CF Cards- do go bad, some develop "bad sectors". Some of the newest cards are not compatible with older cameras. You are probably best to stich with cards 2GBytes and smaller. I still use a 256MByte card with older Digital cameras.

Now, the Nikon is giving me some problems that are not good. It keeps saying that the CF card isn't formatted, even though I have formatted it before, and there's a lot of pictures on there I can't reach because it says it's not formatted and there's nothing on it.

This sounds like typical CF and SD card issues. If you're formatting the card in the CF reader that is attached to your computer, that is a no-no. Always format in camera. This alleviates several different variables that can cause problems in camera. There are three modes that you can format with in your computer. NTFS, FAT, and FAT32. I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% certain that the camera will not, and cannot read NTFS file formats. The easiest solution to fix this issue is simply format in the camera every time.

all my money on the lens, as well as the other lenses, goes to waste. What do I do? I don't really want a Nikon, because I've done in-depth research on the Canon and know it's just what I want. What do you recommend?

Novoflex Lens Mount Adapter - Nikon Lens to Canon EOS Body

I use to always buy point and shoot cameras Canon brand only. Then I upgraded to a Canon "bridge" camera (aka superzoom) the Powershot SX40 and shot with that for a few months. When it came to getting a DSLR I went with Nikon despite all my previous experience with Canon and I can tell you I have not regretted my decision. The Nikon you are using is likely old and nearing it's life's end which is the likely cause of your problems. Buying a new nikon such as the D7100 or D600 should make you very happy. The existing lenses you have would be a bonus which would sway me towards Nikon.

Most reactions

Back