Nikon Canon Lens Compatablity

tasman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I thought I read on here somewhere that there is the same lens mounts between Nikon and Canon lenses? Is that only on certain models?

If anyone has any knolwedge on this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe Nikon and Canon lenses are not compatable at all.

the only way you can use a nikon lens on a canon body or vice versa is if you use an attached mount on the lens that allows it to fit on the body. for instance, you can use nikkor lenses on a canon 350d body if you buy an adapter (mount). It has been said that older manual focus lenses from nikon work very well on canon's digital bodies. You obviously won't be able to use autofocus, but it will meter wide open because it's using TTL metering (through the lens). I believe you can do the same with canon lenses on nikon bodies also.

If I remember correctly, there are indeed adapters you can get to use Nikon lenses on Canon bodies. I would imagine there are also adapters to do the opposite; however, the problem with nikon bodies (at least the D50 and D70) is that their light meter will not work unless you have a compatible autofocus lens attached, which means you can't attach Canon lenses without sacrificing the meter. Any lens should work fine on a Canon body (except for autofocus of course) as long as you have an adapter to physically fit it on the body.

Unimaxium said:
however, the problem with nikon bodies (at least the D50 and D70) is that their light meter will not work unless you have a compatible autofocus lens attached, which means you can't attach Canon lenses without sacrificing the meter.
yep. so manual focus nikkor lenses actually work slightly better on canon's than they do on nikons (AF digital). weird.

The movie "The Corpse Bride" was shot entirely with a Canon still camera (1Ds mk II, I think) with Nikon lenses attached. I read that they already had a bunch of Nikon lenses and the Canon was the best digital avaliable for those lenses (with an adaptor). In their situation, they didn't need auto focus or metering so it was a good fit.

Big Mike said:
The movie "The Corpse Bride" was shot entirely with a Canon still camera (1Ds mk II, I think) with Nikon lenses attached. I read that they already had a bunch of Nikon lenses and the Canon was the best digital avaliable for those lenses (with an adaptor). In their situation, they didn't need auto focus or metering so it was a good fit.

yeah, i remember reading that. cool stuff. i think it was actually the 1d2, not the 1ds2. I remember being surprised when i found that out...

thebeginning said:
yep. so manual focus nikkor lenses actually work slightly better on canon's than they do on nikons (AF digital). weird.
The D1*, D2*, and D200 all meter the lenses perfectly. Anyone who had been shooting long enough to have a stockpile of manual focus lenses would probably both be able to afford and would desire the extra functionality those cameras include. A large portion of the D50/D70 market are people who have never owned an SLR prior to that model, negating the problem for them.

Most reactions

Back