Nikon & Canon... what abt the rest?

RachelJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, in my search for a digital SLR (to be used mostly for macro work, if that matters) I've come across lots of crap to sift thru. Lots of which has left me with MORE questions. The one that's bugging me the most is "What about the *rest*?"

All I seem to hear about is Nikon vs. Canon. Occasionally I come across something random about Sony having bought Minolta. But what about Olympus, Pentax, Fuji, and Samsung? Those companies all make DSLRs, and they're names I recognize from the 35mm and digital P&S worlds. Does anyone use any of those? Are they less lens-optioned (meaning are there less available aftermarket lenses)? Is the quality sub-par when compared to N or C? Or are they actually worth looking at??

Anyone? Anyone... Bueller...

Well I know sony has a large selection of lenses and a few people around here shoot pentax's (the k10d). I'm not so sure about fuji, samsung or olympus but I'm sure they all make good cameras. Nikon and canon are used so much because of large lens choice and people just trust them. I'm getting a canon because They have a wide range of higher level cameras I can get if I want to get a better body and I'll still be able to use my lenses.

Fuji's SLRs I belive are lens compatible with Nikon and some even appear to be rebadged nikons although i'm not entirely certain about that. The Nikon Coolpix are definitely rebadged Fujifilms.

Olympus's DSLR range are also very nice and I believe they make one of the smallest SLRs and have very nice sensors in them. Also Leica make very respectable digital cameras nowadays.

Good point. Why don't we ever see threads asking about Sinar vs. Linhof?

Because if I could afford to compare them I'd be too busy polishing and protecting them from specks of dust and would have no time to go posting on forums :lol:

-----

Rachel, the quality of the other systems is not sub-par. Some brands do some things as well, some not so well, some better, than others. Of course, they're not all trying to offer the same things to the same people.
Nikon and Canon are currently the only ones offering really high-end "professional" camera bodies, of course that doesn't mean the others can't be used for professional purposes or that they're not working on professional cameras. More importantly Canon and Nikon's cameras, lenses and accessories are much more widely available. That they have a much greater range of lenses is usually exaggerated, but they are definitely much more readily available whereas you could end up waiting a long time for some lenses with the other companies. Plus you can rent lenses with Canon or Nikon which you usually cannot do with the others. Plus Canon is the only company currently offering a 'full-frame' 35x24mm sensor, in addition to which they also offer a sensor with 1.3x 'crop factor' as well as the smaller one found on their lower and mid-ranged models, so I would say Canon clearly has the greatest overall choice when it comes to cameras and lenses. Finally most people use Canon or Nikon therefore it is easier to get advice or reviews. If it sounds like I'm telling you to avoid the other brands, well that's not the idea. I don't use a Canon or Nikon system and I'm very happy.

Some random information that might help make sense of who's doing what:

: Sony did take over Konica-Minolta's photo business and currently offer only one dSLR model (the A100) but claim they will be releasing a mid-level camera and a professional camera over the next year.

: Pentax currently offer the "entry-level" K100d as well as the more advanced K10d; they don't offer a competitor to Canon or Nikon's high-end bodies and are instead working on a digital medium format system compatible with their 645 film system. Their current dSLRs use Sony sensors, as do Nikon's.

: Samsung dSLRs are simply Pentaxes rebadged and with a few cosmetic differences.

: Fuji's dSLRs use the Nikon mount in Nikon-based bodies, supposedly "Pro" models though not in the same class as the professional Nikons. They have their own sensor design which seems interesting but (at least in the UK) it's fairly hard to find a Fuji dSLR to see for yourself.

: Olympus use the "Four Thirds" sensor system. They use a smaller sensor than most and it doesn't seem to handle digital noise as well as most, however there are people happily use Olympus systems, and Leica are using the same sensor system too; if Olympus and Leica are both using it can it be that bad? Olympus also seem quite innovative (for example being the first to put a sensor cleaning system in consumer models, and the only company to offer live view - the ability to compose the shot using the LCD instead of just the viewfinder - in a consumer dSLR). They also have a good range of cameras some of which are reasonably unique (for example the E-410 looks like being the closest you'll get to a pocketable dSLR) and are due to release a successor to the E1 in a new professional model.

-----

Just to declare my own interests, I currently use a Pentax dSLR system, having previously mainly used Pentax and Minolta film systems (I say 'mainly' as I have to confess I've often tended to look for "stuff I like" rather than sensibly follow one system). I am very happy with my choice and don't wish I'd gone with Canon or Nikon instead, however I do wish I had unlimited funds as this is an interesting time for most of these systems; if I could shoot Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony (in no order but alphabetical) then I would. Personally I don't think any system is entirely perfect but any will serve you well, especially if you first consider what matters most to you and which system best serves your priorities... and finally, needless to say you'll be a lot happier if you can concentrate on photography rather than brand names ;)

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

THANK YOU!!!

That was, more or less, exactly what I was looking for!! Very well-done!! :)

Thanks again!!

Actually, Nikon Also makes a nice full frame Sensor camera. The D2X and D2Xs.

Unless I'm mistaken the D2X's sensor dimensions are 23.7 x 15.7 mm... so it has a "crop factor" of 1.5x, same as all their other dSLRs. No doubt that they're nice, but not full-frame :)

who wants that little tiny sensor in the canon 5D when you could have the pentax 645D :lmao:

I own the Pentax K110D, which is bottom of their DSLR line. It's a great starter cam. It does everything I want plus a lot more. It was $100 dollars less than anything else, $150 if you include the rebate. Used lenses are a bit more scarce than Canon or Nikon, but if you're patient you can probably still find the lens you're looking for used (or something very close). If you're planning on buying new, there's no issue, Pentax has a full line of lenses as well as Sigma and Tamron. Another nice thing is Pentax has been using the same mount forever, so you can get some older manual focus macro lenses for a fraction of the price for the new AF ones.

Buying a DSLR is not buying a camera. Buying a DSLR is buying a system. The camera body is only a small, although important part, of the entire system. At the present time Canon and Nikon offer the most complete systems in terms of lenses and accessories. They offer an extreemly wide range of lenses not only in focal lengths but in price from cheap lower end consumer to quite expensive lenses.

Sony, Pentax and Olympus have less to choose from at this time. Pentax has anounced more lenses but the delivery date has been pushed back. Sony uses a wide varity of old Minolta lenses. Some that people would want to use, some that can work but are not that desireable. Nikon is very similar as their old SLR lense fit their DSLR's.

Cost can be another issue when looking at a system. Sony, Canon and Nikon all make a 70-200mm f2.8 telephoto lens. Canon and Nikon offer it with in lens inmage shake reduction for around $1500. Sony's comperable lens does not have image shake reduction in the lens. There selling point is every lens is has image shake reduction as it is in the camera body. They however charge around $2300 for their lens with out IS. Not sure of the savings there for alot of people.

When you are looking at at a DSLR you need to consider the system requirements you need and go with the best system for your requirements whether it be Canon, Nikon or any of the others. They all have advantages and disadvantages. You need to check them all out and see which system floats to the top of the bucket of your needs and which ones sink to the bottom.

gryphon, that's def true.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Nikon on this. My dad has a D80 and if I get a Nikon we can share lenses :) Save us both some money (though it'll be a little inconveneint, but not a huge deal--we want different things from a camera, so it's doubtful we'll want to use the same lens at the same time).

My uncle, dad and I were discussing this as well. My uncle's a professional commercial photographer and has a fully built system of, more or less, everything he needs to shoot what he does. (We'll say, for argument's sake that he uses Canon equip, though I don't remember if that's exactly the case). He has tens of thousands of dollars invested in his equipment--mostly lenses, filters, and other camera-specific 'stuff'. Unfortunately for him, he likes a different camera brand's (say, Nikon's) body that is newly out or slated to be released (again, can't remember). He's going to wait until Canon comes out with something comparable, because otherwise he'll have to rebuild his entire equipment base--much of which he's had for 20+ years.

Again, thanks for the replies :) You guys ROCK!!

Oh if your dad has compatible Nikon gear then going for Nikon definitely makes the most sense. And you can probably borrow filters and studio equipment from your uncle too... lucky you :D

LOL I wish!!

My dad, for now, only has (I believe) 1 lens for his D80.

I don't believe my uncle uses Nikon equipment. Though borrowing the studio (which is in his basement) and getting some pointers from him might be an option ;)

Most reactions

Back