nikon d100 vs. d70

aeser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm up in the air about getting either a nikon d100 or a d70, i've read some lengthy comparrisons and i think i'm leaning towards the d100 even though it's older because it has a metal as apposed to a plastic frame and some of the comparrisons seem to lean towards the d100 even though the d70 does some stuff the d100 doesn't do. also the d100 can shoot tiffs as apposed to just raw and jpg (though raw from what i have been reading is supposed to look best? but require the nikon proprietary software to convert to a photoshop editable format?).

but i was just wondering since a lot of you seem to have the d70 if any of you have experience comparring the two and let me know if i'm on the wrong path here. also the d70 is like $1000 whereas this one place i can get a d100 for $780 right now (normally like $1200-$1500)

also for starter lenses (this will be my first slr) i was thinking of picking up a Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens and a Nikon Fisheye AF 16mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens (i'm a sucker for fisheye) to start. is this a bad idea/should i stick with just dx lenses? or will these work well with the d100/d70? i will be using them mainly for manual focus.

The 50 mm f1.4 is a great lens and I will most likely get one at some time soon, you should also look at the 50mm f1.8 it is over $160.00 cheaper and I have heard from some people that is is sharper but have not tested myself. oh yea the f1.8 is only $90.00 so that is first on my list well second after the 105mm macro.

I was as of a week ago in the same spot as you and after reading everything I could find I went with the d70. I can't give you just one reasion, I know I would have loved eather one, but the number of shots it can take in a burst is just one the newer ccd are good reasions for me.

I will be getting my d70 on friday so by friday night I will post some pics.

just my 2 cents

yea i actually just ordered a d70 and a nikon 50mm f1.8

comparing the screenshots i saw the d70's shots looked better than the d100's to me slightly.

psyched. my first slr.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back