Nikon D2x for studio and wedding shoots ?

You're right. It's about the reliability of a camera and its fit for purpose. But by all means go and tell the judge during your lawsuit that you bought a small plastic consumer camera for your profession rather than a professional body and that's the reason you missed the shot.

Also there's nothing wrong with film for a wedding. I've seen plenty of film based wedding albums that easily out class the digital albums of people who have no clue. Film lost out because of the high cost.

If you're shooting at ISO 100, the 12MP from the D2x is incredible, it will outresolve a D3/s/700 (trust me, i did a side-by-side comparison). But if you go any higher than base ISO, anything that uses Nikon's 12, 14, or 16mp cmos sensors FF or DX will blow it away. Nikon's CCD's just went to crap at anything above base.

That said, a D2x would be a dynamite daylight camera. Shooting at ISO 100 with some fast primes, you're golden. Otherwise, anything in nikon's current line up would be a better solution :/

And I agree with ChristopherCoy, lighting can really suck, entire ceremonies can be shot at ISO 1600, hell the last wedding I shot, I shot a big chunk of the formals at ISO 3200 and f/1.4 (on a D700)!! Reasons like that are why the D2x isn't really a good choice for available light journalism. If you're doing landscapes or shooting in the studio, where you can sit at ISO 100, go for it. It will give you bomb results. Just know that the D2x really only goes up to ISO 800, 1600 is almost unusable.

2 comparable bodies are definitely a must for a wedding, although 3 would be preferable. Also an Indemnity clause and insurance are important to make sure you don't loose your house. The D2x was a solid camera for its day but I agree with those above, that the next generation of cameras have much more advanced sensors. A D90, a D300 and a D7000 would be better in practically every way than a D2x for weddings. Better color and noise performance is important when shooting in a dark church. If I were going to make a suggestion, try to pick up a D700. Probably can pick one up for about $1600 American (Sorry not sure how that relates to Pounds at the moment) You get the full frame perspective, very nice noise performance, and a bigger camera with nicer controls (this is just my opinion as I really like the 2 auto focus AF on and AF/AE-L buttons on the back of the 300 and 700) than what the D7000 and D90 have. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back