Nikon D3 or Nikon D3x - Confused

craiglistbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One of my friend is selling his eqipment. Both Nikon D3 and D3x are of same cost and similarly maintained. Which one is better to choose. I already did some research and found Nikon D3x better image quality and D3 better fps and low light ISO 6400 versus 1600

My purpose is to shoot dance competitions, birthday parties and indoor functions with less light which I think D3 is better, however not able to compromise on quality of the pciture. Confused......can you guru's plze help.

I am newbie so pardon my vague question and if I have posted in a wrong section.

The d3x has more mp and higher dynamic range. In theory at lower iso it will give you better images. In a studio or for landscape only it is the better choice. The D3 sounds better for your needs. Though it's image quality may be less it is still excellent being probably the best dslr available when it was released.

If you decide on the D3, I will recommend looking at the D700 instead. It's essentially the more compact version of D3. I think they both have the same image sensor.

Thanks.....In general what is the best Professional camera for event photography (Other than D4)

Thanks.....In general what is the best Professional camera for event photography (Other than D4)

The D3x is a fine shooter up to about ISO 2,000, and it's not exactly a slouch at 3,200 either. I have a D3x...it is a superb camera, and I think BETTER than the original D3. The D3s, the "s", might be a bit better at the very-highest ISO values, but I would definitely take a D3x over a 2007-era D3 body.

The D3x files are big, and you CAN apply a TON of noise reduction to them, and still have plenty of detail left over to make good files at high ISO settings.

The D3S was always heralded as the best low light performer and sports body, and may even have better ISO performance than the D4, if only barely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The D3x is a studio camera designed to be used with studio lighting.
The D3 is an actions sports camera designed for low light situations.

For your stated purposes I recommend the D3.

The slight differences in image quality each camera can produce will only be apparent if both cameras are used by a skilled and experienced photographer to shoot the same scene.
Image Quality is almost entirely about the photographer, rather than the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Sony's sensor as good as Nikon's Sensor? That is the question popping in my mind (In terms of vibrant colours???)

Thanks again.

Is Sony's sensor as good as Nikon's Sensor? That is the question popping in my mind (In terms of vibrant colours???)

Thanks again.

GO to the URL I provided above, and hit the "compare" button, and then go down to "Measurements", and click, and you will be shown a series of comparisons. The two sensors are very close in almost every measurement. The Sony sensor starts out with better dynamic range at Base ISO, and also richer color. My question would be, what is the price for the D3x and D3; you said both were equal.

Sony has made the image sensors in Nikon cameras for quite some time now.
In the past Sony made image sensors Nikon designed.
Today, most of the image sensors in Nikon cameras are designed and made by Sony.

In return Sony buys and uses Nikon's steppers, which are optical devices that aid doing the photo lithography needed to make integrated circuits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back