Nikon D300 vs. D3.

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there are people with the D300 on here, and there are person(s) with the D3, and I was wondering what everyone on here thought about the two. I'm looking at getting at least the D300, and I'm considering going all out for the D3. How are your experiences with either, mainly in high-ISO performance (3200) and in the ergonomic design, durability, and weather-sealing.

they're pro level cameras designed to work every day, all the time, in the worst conditions.

unless you can actually use sealed metal bodies, fast fps, 12mp, quicker access to everything, and more accurate AF, you don't really need either.

Unless you have a bag full of f/2.8's and/or primes, the money is probably better spent on glass and lighting equipment.

I agree. I know you shoot in low light conditions...but I'll be honest with you. Unless your photography is pulling in 7 grand in the next year...you can't justify buying a D3 for shooting high school sports. I mean sure it's nice and it'd be a blast to have...but you could get along fine with the D300 at the MOST.

I agree. I know you shoot in low light conditions...but I'll be honest with you. Unless your photography is pulling in 7 grand in the next year...you can't justify buying a D3 for shooting high school sports. I mean sure it's nice and it'd be a blast to have...but you could get along fine with the D300 at the MOST.

Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards the D300 to be honest. I'm just like, wishfully thinking by even looking at the D3. I should probably, reasonably, go with a D300, it works great in low-light I hear, and it'd leave me a lot of extra money to buy quality lenses for when I reach the D3 level. And by then, D4 will be around maybe. So yeah, D300 guys? Good idea?

If you could afford it, then there is one thing that you need to consider from D3, the Image Sensor is FULLY developed by Nikon. The D300 is not. I don't know for you but for me it's important consideration.

But, you could hardly wrong if go for the good lenses first then get the D4 later.

If you could afford it, then there is one thing that you need to consider from D3, the Image Sensor is FULLY developed by Nikon. The D300 is not. I don't know for you but for me it's important consideration.

But, you could hardly wrong if go for the good lenses first then get the D4 later.

Yeah, there are only a few lenses I want anyways though. A $400 wide-angle (which would rule hard on the D3, mmm) and an 85mm PC Micro lens. And someday a super-telephoto, but that's way distant future.

I see no reason why this is important. Sorry man.

I see no reason why this is important. Sorry man.

There is a reason behind why Nikon urge to develop their first FF (FX) Sensor without any help from outsider. So they can keep the FX sensor technology as their secret. While DX sensor like we all know is shared by Nikon and Sony (+ Fuji). Nikon build their own body and lenses, Sony use Konica Minolta body line and lenses (+ Zeiss lenses).

In the end the Image Quality is more important than anything, but why do you think Canon had been staying strong with their FF sensor with NO other competitor? Because they make their own sensor so they can keep the technology for themselves. We still haven't seen anything yet to rival the 21.1 Mp 1Ds Mk III. In Nikon press release, D3 is claimed for Photojournalism and Sport (1D Mk III rival).

If you have both image samples (D3 and D300), you can see D300 image quality is Great but D3 IQ is just Amazing especially on 'really' High Iso. (IMHO)

That's why it's such an important aspect to me.

Does Sony make the D300's sensor? I mean, I don't know what the significance is either. Care to elaborate someone?

All DX sensor is designed and engineered by Nikon, Sony manufactures almost all Nikon DX sensor. But D300 uses Nikon newest processor Nikon Expeed. I think Sony uses their own processor, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Most reactions

Back