Nikon D3000, D5000, D90?

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope this is the right forum for my question, if not feel free to move it!

In browsing through the photos people post for C&C, I've noticed several using the D30o0 and D90... But I haven't run across any D5000 users! I recently picked up my first DSLR, and LOVE the D5000. Just curious why there seems to be less love for the "middle child" around here, or is it just me?:lol:

Last edited:
D5000 isn't a middle child to the d300 or d90. It's a lower end model then either of those.

That said, it's a great camera. There are quite a few people here using them.

I hope this is the right forum for my question, if not feel free to move it!

In browsing through the photos people post for C&C, I've noticed several using the D300 and D90... But I haven't run across any D5000 users! I recently picked up my first DSLR, and LOVE the D5000. Just curious why there seems to be less love for the "middle child" around here, or is it just me?:lol:
Many here shoot with the D5000, keep looking.

I use a D5000. Love it, but I've never used a D3000 or D90. I believe the D5000 uses the same sensor as the D90 though. You can see my shots with it in my flickr below if you'd like.

Or if you want experts who use it, go to Flickr and search for Nikon D5000, you'll get results for pictures taken with it (or any other camera you want to look at).

Just remember that the pictures you see won't be the pictures you take. Skill of use and post processing comes into play as well :)

D5000 isn't a middle child to the d300 or d90. It's a lower end model then either of those.

That said, it's a great camera. There are quite a few people here using them.

Oops! I changed the OP to read "D3000" rather than "300." Sorry for the typo!

And to the second poster, you're probably right... If I stay a bit longer I"ll probably start to notice more cameras. It just literally seemed like every post I opened yesturday was either a D3000 or D90 :blushing:

And there ya go! I open up a few more threads today and already I've seen a D40, D60, and a couple others along with some cannons.

As far as entry level DSLR's go, I've been absolutely happy with our D5000. I hope to try a couple new lenses once I get a bit more familiar with the equipment I have for now. Maybe a nice wide aperture lens for the massive amount of close up/portraits I do of my children...I'm in love with the blur effect.

So far, the biggest obstacle has been keeping them in focus because they MOVE so much! I keep the camera in continual shooting mode (4fps) whenever I'm trying to catch the little ones running about, or else I end up with tons of pictures of the back of their heads:lmao:

I am very happy with my D5000, and so are many others here!

Enjoy and keep shooting!

I had a D5000 and D90 at the same time for about a week and had a hard time deciding which one to keep.

D5000 is a great camera, I really enjoyed it!

I chose the D90. Built in focus motor, decent at high ISO, commander flash mode. It is a great camera that will do anything I need it to do.

I have a D5000. LOVE IT! Only drawback... No Commander Mode

d90 here. I had a d5000, took it back and got the d90. Although the d5000 was good the d90 is great and is just a prosumer camera. imo

d90 here. I had a d5000, took it back and got the d90. Although the d5000 was good the d90 is great and is just a prosumer camera. imo

Mind if I ask why you didn't stick with the 5000?

Well the word "prosumer" makes me think that the things that appealed to him more on the d90 were things such as ergonomics, button layout (dedicated ISO, WB), better control schemes, dual dials, etc.

Well the word "prosumer" makes me think that the things that appealed to him more on the d90 were things such as ergonomics, button layout (dedicated ISO, WB), better control schemes, dual dials, etc.

This and the fact it has a top display and built in auto focus motor. Also the d5000 is a beginner level camera and the d90 is a step above. I just wanted something I wouldn't have to replace. Truth be told the biggest part is I have huge hands and the d5000 is small. xD

This and the fact it has a top display and built in auto focus motor. Also the d5000 is a beginner level camera and the d90 is a step above. I just wanted something I wouldn't have to replace. Truth be told the biggest part is I have huge hands and the d5000 is small. xD

That all makes good sense, thanks for clarifying :) lol.. part of the reason I preferred the 5000 was completely opposite- that I have absolutely tiny hands.

Also...the price of the 5000 was amazing. I was able to purchase the camera with the additional VR lense for less than the D90 Kit! I understand, the D90 has a few extra features that make it stand out, but the price was the clincher for my husband and I. I hope to upgrade to a couple more lenses down the road, and I feel like for what I paid initially on this camera, it wouldn't "break the bank" to do it.

Ah.. but then there's the part of me that agrees with you.. I really want this to be a camera I don't feel like I have to "replace" anywhere soon down the road. I'd like it to last for many years to come, and potentially when the kids are all a bit older, carry me into some more serious work, possibly as a side "profession." Do you think with some better lenses the 5000 could do that?

Thanks for all the input so far by the way! I'm really enjoying my camera- but there are SO many choices as a new DSLR user, and I want to make sure I've made the best informed decision possible!

Most reactions

Back