Nikon D3000

iBats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So Im getting this camera on Wednesday. I have been into photography since I was 5 and got my first film slr at 13 a minolta XG1. Any way im looking forward to my first DSLR at 17. The minolta is great just have some crappy glass. some 35 mm lens, and a 80-200mm.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has a nikon d3000 and what you think of it if you have it or have used it.

It's Nikon's newest entry level DSLR camera.

It has basic features and exposure adjustments.

It doesn't have Nikon's CLS off camera flash control system and Nikon doesn't make a vertical grip for the camera.

It's a good basic DSLR. Since you have photography experience you may find yourself outgrowing the cameras capabilities quicker than most.

I don't have one and have not used one, but I am familiar with it's specs and I have several Nikon DLSR's including the D60, an older brother to the D3000.

I just bought a d3000 and like it so far.. this is my first DSLR so i dont know that much about DSLR.. I to would like to know a little more about it.

You can learn a ton about your camera just by reading your camera manual.

When you come to something you don't understand, google it or visit YouTube.

Also since i have been told i might outgrow this camera rather quickly, what are peoples opinions on the nikon d5000 i know it has a better sensor and has the live view, HD movie capabilities.

Is the nikon d5000 really worth the extra 200 bucks?

If outgrowing it is a concern, you'll technically outgrow the D5000 just as fast... both the D3000 and D5000 are entry level DSLR cameras.

Is it worth it? To me, yes it is... not just for the video but for the CMOS sensor alone.

I think the only thing you 'outgrow' is not wanting to go into menus for certain options, or have more flexibilty in your shooting (more bracketing options, external devices, etc). Other than that it's in the build...

If outgrowing it is a concern, you'll technically outgrow the D5000 just as fast... both the D3000 and D5000 are entry level DSLR cameras.

Is it worth it? To me, yes it is... not just for the video but for the CMOS sensor alone.

I think the only thing you 'outgrow' is not wanting to go into menus for certain options, or have more flexibilty in your shooting (more bracketing options, external devices, etc). Other than that it's in the build...

But dont CMOS sensors create higher noise images?

No.

The D5000 has the same image sensor that is in the D90 and the D300s.

They all have lower (better) noise performance than the D3000. You can get the iimage quality of an $1800 camera for a fraction of the cost.

I have just bought a D3000. This is my first dSLR. I was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to the best memory card (SDHC?) for this camera. So far as I can tell it comes down class (4 or 6) and size (4 or 8 MB). Is on brand better then another? I would rather not spend money on a card that will not improve the performance of the camera (e.g. I don’t want to get a class 6 card if a class 4 is all the camera can handle). Can anyone help? Thanks.

I've been using the Sandisk Extreme (with 20 and 30 second speed) with great success.

Also since i have been told i might outgrow this camera rather quickly, what are peoples opinions on the nikon d5000 i know it has a better sensor and has the live view, HD movie capabilities.

Is the nikon d5000 really worth the extra 200 bucks?
No. The D5000 is worth $300 more. :thumbup:

No. Where did you hear that?

Go to Wikipedia at check out CCD (Charge Coupled Device) and then check out CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor).

I have just bought a D3000. This is my first dSLR. I was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to the best memory card (SDHC?) for this camera. So far as I can tell it comes down class (4 or 6) and size (4 or 8 MB). Is on brand better then another? I would rather not spend money on a card that will not improve the performance of the camera (e.g. I don’t want to get a class 6 card if a class 4 is all the camera can handle). Can anyone help? Thanks.
Nikon has a list of approved cards in the back of your camera manual, page 167.

Use of any other cards could have a negative effect on your warranty.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back