Nikon D300s/7100/7200 as backup

Rob99

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my trusty D300 took an untimely demise into some water. I need a new back up camera.

I have a D500 as a main camera so the D300 was a good back up control wise. That has me considering a used D300s for around $400-450 and I already have all the accessories.

Or a D7100 new for $649

Or a D7200 refurb for $780

Want to keep it under $1000 which all three options will be.

What say you?

Well if your looking strictly backup I'd probably go 7200 first. The 7100 is a great camera but the buffer will drive you batty unless you shoot jpg only.

If your looking maybe backup and branching out a bit I'd look for a d600. You can snag one for less than a grand pretty easy, awesome lowlight, great picture quality, same layout as the 7100/7200 but full frame which can be nice to have in the bag

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

If you are only going to use it for a backup, Go with a D300 for $300 and take the $700 and buy a good lens. When I came back to Nikon 4 months ago I was in the exact same boat. I was thinking I should get a full frame for when I might need it for low light. However I was completely spoiled by the D500 controls and AF. Tried a D600, didn't work as the controls were too different. Tried a D700, AF and IQ was not on par with the D500. I was very close to going after a D4, But in the end I went with a D300 that I snagged for $450 with a Tamron 70-300 VC. I sold the lens for $250 so I got the camera for $200. I then sold my 300 F4 which I was thinking I could use on the D4 for my close up hawk images and picked up a 300 F2.8 AF-S II so I picked up my stop in the lens. The D300 is a pure back up for when I kill the D500 which will happen sooner than later as I'm already over 60K on it in 3 months and I don't always shoot in the friendliest places like when I crawled along the beach for about 50 yards this morning..

I agree with coastalconn. Get the less expensive D300s and use the difference in $$$s for other gear.

The control layout of the D300s is the same as it was for the D300.

However, I would suggest that a D7200 out performs a D300s in some ways, but as you already know - at a higher price.
My flagship DSLR is a 7 year old D300s and I don't feel any need to replace it with with a newer model.
I still often use my 11 year old, 6 MP, D50, and my, also 11 year old, 10 MP, D200.

I'm leaning D300/s because I liked my D300 so much and already have batteries/grip for one.

I don't really need lenses, I have every thing I use. 24-70, 70-200, 50, 85 and 105. I would love a 300 2.8 but that would mean selling a kidney.

I use the backup in situations don't want to take the D500, which isn't all that often. Mostly shoot sports and nature/wildlife. I shot a lot of full frame when I shot weddings but don't really see a need for one personally.

Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts.

I'm leaning D300/s because I liked my D300 so much and already have batteries/grip for one.

I don't really need lenses, I have every thing I use. 24-70, 70-200, 50, 85 and 105. I would love a 300 2.8 but that would mean selling a kidney.

I use the backup in situations don't want to take the D500, which isn't all that often. Mostly shoot sports and nature/wildlife. I shot a lot of full frame when I shot weddings but don't really see a need for one personally.

Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts.
Oh, I can spend your money easy. Head over to the buy and sell at FM. There are 2 D300 for sale one at 250 and one at $275. Take the money saved and get a used 300 F/4d ED-IF AF-S for around $6-700. It is an awesome lens for wildlife. The 300 F2.8 is only a little sharper (and believe me it is sharp) and you loose a stop.

D500 and 300 F4 wide open
Snowy Egret 6_20 1 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

I got the 300 F2.8 AF-S II. It was only 2K and had the AF-S motor and electronics replaced in April. Mint condition and same optics (minus some coatings) as the newest version and weighs a pound less.. Way less than a kidney...

PS. I have nothing for sale on FM..

There's a 300/4 AF for $350, thanks for spending my money. Ha!

Yup, that's the older version. Still a great lens, AF is slow, shows some purple fringing at times, but built like a tank, great limiter on it. Renders really well though and still sharp.m

Yup, that's the older version. Still a great lens, AF is slow, shows some purple fringing at times, but built like a tank, great limiter on it. Renders really well though and still sharp.m
same problem I had with that lens.
Faster shutter speeds seemed to have quelled the purple fringing.
and a slow AF as it was designed in the manual focus days so the screw drive is multiple turns to gain focus versus modern very short throws to get focus. I loved my 300/4 AF but I barely used it and had to make excuses to use it after I moved up to 150-500/600 lenses. So I sold it.
It was a good portraiture lens though.

I've been thinking of adding a crop camera to my bag too. I wish I hadn't sold my d7000. But the d300s is on the short list. Would prefer a d500 though but no $$.

Don't forget to factor in build-quality. The D300s is built like a tank compared to the D7xxx.

Don't forget to factor in build-quality. The D300s is built like a tank compared to the D7xxx.

Very true, if you find yourself crawling up a beach or something the D300 would definitely be the way to go, its fast FPS would be a big advantage as well. If you need more cropping capability or better lowlight the 7200 would probably be your best bet. They aren't built to the same tank like standards as the 300 of course, but still not a bad option for most.

Very true, if you find yourself crawling up a beach or something the D300 would definitely be the way to go, its fast FPS would be a big advantage as well. If you need more cropping capability or better lowlight the 7200 would probably be your best bet. They aren't built to the same tank like standards as the 300 of course, but still not a bad option for most.
Hmm, I was crawling on a beach yesterday.. Were you spying on me again? I think you may be spoiled with the IQ of your present cameras, but if you find a D300 cheap enough it is still a very useable weapon to fend off bears or mountains lions. I mean it is still OK under ISO 800. If you throw a grip and big battery in it, you can still hammer away at 8 FPS. IQ wise it is not up to today's current cameras, but it makes a lot of sense for me to have as a backup. I personally prefer big cameras because I always have a 5.5 or 8.5# lens on it and it balances better.

Hmm, I was crawling on a beach yesterday.. Were you spying on me again?

Didn't even see my blind did you.. .hehe

I think you may be spoiled with the IQ of your present cameras, but if you find a D300 cheap enough it is still a very useable weapon to fend off bears or mountains lions. I mean it is still OK under ISO 800. If you throw a grip and big battery in it, you can still hammer away at 8 FPS. IQ wise it is not up to today's current cameras, but it makes a lot of sense for me to have as a backup. I personally prefer big cameras because I always have a 5.5 or 8.5# lens on it and it balances better.

Am I spoiled by the IQ of my D600? Absolutely. In fact so much so that I got an intern so I'd have someone who could carry it for me while I'm out shooting. Lol..

But seriously, if you have the lens for it and you don't really need to crop, or if you need the faster FPS or the better build quality the D300 still makes a ton of sense, no doubt about it. I've been tempted to get one myself, considering how cheap they are getting.

I would rather have a D7100 over a D300 by a long shot. I've owned and used both. I still own and use a D7100.

Most reactions

Back