Nikon d3100 lens advice

Vasiliosssss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, my girlfriend is looking to buy her first new lens for her d3100 and i am trying to help her but i dont know much about nikons, im mostly into canon. But she wants a lens that is good for portraits so i was thinking a 35mm or 50mm lens. She is also looking for something cheap, maybe around $450 or cheaper? Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything will help, thanks!

Nikon af-s 50mm f1.8 for $220.00

What kind of portraits?

Making all the different types of portrait pretty much requires having several lenses, not just one.

What about a more of a zooming lens as well? Any recommandations?

A good fifty is what I recommend, you don't need three lenses to create different kind's of portraits, it's quite clear the OP does not have the budget for THREE different lenses. A good 50mm can be used for all different kind of portraits on a DX camera.

Another vote for the 50mm 1.8 G. It's a very good lens for the money.

WhyteMyke said:
I currently have a Nikon AF f/1.8 50mm for sale if you are interested:

Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 Lens $115 or best offer!

Paypal verified, and willing to ship.
That lens won't autofocus on the d3100 though
But that lens does send distance information to the D3100's CPU, so the D3100 can light the viewfinder in-focus indicator light when focus has been achieved by manually turning the lens focus ring.

Plus the D3100 has Rangefinder mode to help the photographer achieve focus by turning the lens focus ring. (Page 144 of the D3100 user's manual)

Typically, portrait subjects aren't moving, negating the need for auto focus. Plus in many situations, auto focus may be precluded from working well, like in low light.

That lens won't autofocus on the d3100 though

True.

It still can be used though if you are a manual-focus type of person, which if this was to be used for portraits, might work out for the OP's girlfriend. I personally always use manual focus while doing portraits, but thats just me.

Just posted it just incase there might be some interest, trying to help out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back