Nikon D3100 question?

maros

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys!
I have a nikon d3100 and I want to upgrade to a different nikon (intermediate) camera. I have the
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, and the 55-200mn lenses.
So i was wondering can I buy any another nikon camera body and would it work with my lenses? like the Nikon D7000, or D90?

thanks!
:D

Yes, you should be able to upgrade to any Nikon that is a DX rather than an FX body; I believe D7000 or D90 both fit that bill, as would the D5100.

But the question is, WHY do you want to upgrade? What is it you want to do that you cannot achieve with your D3100?

You may well find that you'd be better off to invest in some really good glass rather than a camera body upgrade.

As sm4him said invest in good glass and then you can take them up with you when you do get another body. You will defiantly find yourself with better results if you buy some good lenses.

I would agree with sm4him and borisnikon that you invest in glass. I too have a D3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens just like yours. Though I'm tempted with the D7000, I am focusing my budget to getting a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens and eventually a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens. And probably sell my 55-200mm for a 55-300m. The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens. Though I am not an expert, I can still say that even with just the 35mm lens it would definitely be an upgrade for my setup. Do note that the glasses I mentioned are not top-tier lenses but still worthy upgrades.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but what is your experience level? I suspect it is rather low since anyone who has shot Nikon for a while would not need to ask that question. My point being that upgrading anything at this point might well be a waste of monsy since you probably don't even know what you need, what you want, or what you like to shoot.

The D3100 is not a "Great" camera body however it is not the worst either. You have some good capabilities with that body that I suspect you are not using to their fullest. Likewise, the 18-55 lens is actually a pretty decent lens and is certainly cabable of excellent shots. Neither a great camera body nor a great lens combine to make a great photographer, it takes knowledge. I've seen some outstanding photographs shot with mediocre equipment by people with lots of experience.

My recommendation: You've got good equipment so learn to use it to its fullest. When you have done that most of your questions will answer themselves.

by the nature of the question of the OP, he\she isn't ready for an upgrade. wait until you have more information and use what you got, it is a tool which is quite capable...you won't maximize the potential of more sophisticated and expensive gear...a Ferrari car isn't worth much if one doesn't know how to drive. - get my point? :hug::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back