NIKON D3100 W/ 2 KIT LENS or D3200

So after a lot of thought, I think I'm going to go with the D3200, pick up a Nikon 50mm 1.8g and a decent tripod. From there I'll work on some landscape and see where my style leads me to.

Thanks for all the help!

Peace out cub scouts!

..good for you,archiee......I really think that when you slap that 50 on,you'll really only use that 18-55 closer to the 18 range for wide.Everything else,you'll just step closer.Good luck,and show us what you shoot!! ;)

oh,and don't get me wrong....you'll want extra reach,but I wouldn't want you to have the same buyer remorse that I have.I ended up buying a Sigma 70-200 2.8 (used) for $600.00.I absolutely love it,and there is nothing wrong with buying used.I just wish I hadn't payed what I did for the 55-200.

Last edited:
So after a lot of thought, I think I'm going to go with the D3200, pick up a Nikon 50mm 1.8g and a decent tripod. From there I'll work on some landscape and see where my style leads me to.

Thanks for all the help!

Peace out cub scouts!
I think you will be happy in the long run.
The D3200 is a camera you will not need to upgrade any time soon. For the money its one of the best cameras you can buy if not the BEST camera for the money (well thats a matter for debate I guess LOL).

I have few lenses but I find myself again and again reaching for the 50mm, its just a super sharp lens and this focal length somehow is very easy to work in many different scenarios.
Please keep us informed when you get your new camera and how happy you are with it.

Good luck :)

I have the d3100 and as the 32 is obviously a newer more advanced I would get the 31 and learn it hand over first then upgrade to the 52 when I really looked into it the differences between the 31 & 32 can be edited with simple settings =) but it can be looked at as a personal preference

So a little background , I started out with a d40 back in high school and finally have saved up enough to get a newer camera.

My options are a D3100 kit with an 18-55 mm and 55-200 mm lens, or a D3200 with a standard 18-55 mm.

I have the basics of photography down (dabbled with 35 mm film), and want to stick with Nikon.

I'm not really interested in buying used and have pretty much settled on buying a D3100 or 3200.

Thanks for reading guys!

You gave a lot of info but not how much you can really afford to spend.I'd get the 3200 if that's your max $ limit...

Guys let this post rest, the choice was already made few weeks ago, OP chose the D3200 and I think he did the right choice.

Guys let this post rest, the choice was already made few weeks ago, OP chose the D3200 and I think he did the right choice.

His last post said I think I'll get the 3100 sorry if we bother you by posting here !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got some decent glass but I almost regret selling my 55-200

Good choice. I just went with a D3200. It's clear and above the better camera than a D3100, yet to me the D3300 wasn't enough more than a 3200 to warrant the extra price. Then I picked up a Sigma 70-300MM which was very budget friendly and have been extremely happy.

Different story for some in Canada for the last few days, Target Canada is clearing out their D3100 + 18-55 Kit for CAD$239.99 (about US$220). They are all sold out within a day or two. Even the demo are gone too, demo get extra 15% off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back