Nikon d3100

spuddy1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello to you all,

New to the forum so please go easy. I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Nikon d3100 for 250 Australian dollars(body only ). Now I have done no photography ever but keen to start and learn a new hobby. Do you think this Camera will be OK for a starter and does the price seem reasonable?

Also need advice on getting a lense and does any forum member own one of these cameras?

Thanks

Jon

Lots of us own this camera, and it's a perfectly good camera.

The lens you want depends on what you want to take pictures of, but I would start with EITHER: the 18-55mm "kit" lens, OR the 35mm f/1.8G lens. They're both pretty cheap. The kit lens should be available used for practically nothing, and the 35mm lens might also be available used.

You could try renting or borrowing each one, to see which one you like better. They're both pretty "standard" lenses. Not good for wildlife or astronomy or scientific closeups, but great for family and general purpose/casual photography.

Lots of us own this camera, and it's a perfectly good camera.

The lens you want depends on what you want to take pictures of, but I would start with EITHER: the 18-55mm "kit" lens, OR the 35mm f/1.8G lens. They're both pretty cheap. The kit lens should be available used for practically nothing, and the 35mm lens might also be available used.

You could try renting or borrowing each one, to see which one you like better. They're both pretty "standard" lenses. Not good for wildlife or astronomy or scientific closeups, but great for family and general purpose/casual photography.

Thanks for the reply. Was hoping to shoot some wildlife photos and if anyone knows a suitable lens not to pricy that would be great. Failing that I will purchase the kit lens and go from there. Looking at prices online I think I'm getting a OK deal at 250 dollars. Can't wait to get started.

Cheers

Jon

Aside from the 35mm and 18-55mm kit lens, you may want to add a telephoto zoom if you want to take photos of wildlife. I would recommend the 55-300mm VR for beginners. But if you can swing it, the 70-300mm VR is much better though the former is generally a solid lens in its own right. If budget is a constraint, then the 55-200mm VR will suffice but of course there may be a lack of reach. The cheapest alternative would be the Nikon 70-300mm non-VR or the Sigma or Tamron equivalents. Note that the Nikon will not autofocus on your body but manual will work but the Sigma and Tamron do autofocus.

I can't speak to the deal you're getting but the D3100 is plenty of camera for you to master the fundamentals and develop your skill. Check out the 18-200 lens. One lens covers most ranges. I'd get one if I could. Once you develop your skill and quality, you can consider getting finer glass to cover different purposes and an upgraded body to maximize your file quality, but first learn photography.

I had the d3100 last year which I have now passed to my daughter for college and bought myself the d5100. I found the d3100 a lovely camera to learn with but I wouldn't buy the tamron lens as i had it and soon changed it to a nikon one because as my skills progressed so my expectations in quality.

I bought a D3100 about six months ago and love it. Go for it if it's a good deal.

I actually just recently decided to buy a d5100 backed by much research into the d3100 or the 5100 and I went with the 5100 even though it was a few hundred dollars more. after A few days of shooting I returned it. I bought a d3100 and actually found the quality and overall experience of the d3100 to be better, (personally of course) it is a wonderful starter camera, though arguably can shoot just as good as the d7100. what it really comes down to is the lenses you use. yeah you can't achieve the exact same shoot as you could with a more expensive camera, but the d3100 helps you be creative and builds experience as well as a beautiful picture.

The second DSLR I owned was the D3100.

Great camera, a little small in the hand, but it does everything you need it to do when you are starting out.

It's the camera I would recommend to most beginners if they want a Nikon DSLR (or possibly the D3200 now) as its super easy to get used to and has loads of great features.

I wish you the best of luck with it :thumbup:

Thanks for all your reply's. Picking the camera up on Sunday and you will no doubt hear from me soon with more questions.

I've had my D3100 for a few weeks now. Haven't had a lot of time and only shot 21 images but I'm a film convert and shoot deliberately as to not waste film. I'm running in and out shooting the full moon right now. Awesome little camera to be honest.

Hi,

Bit of an update. Managed to get a 55-200 mm lens for $50 dollars which I'm happy with. Do I need to still get the kit lens or will this one be OK to start?

Thanks

Jon

Hi,

Bit of an update. Managed to get a 55-200 mm lens for $50 dollars which I'm happy with. Do I need to still get the kit lens or will this one be OK to start?

Thanks

Jon

If you're mainly looking to shoot wildlife, you'll probably want the 55-200 or even longer. If you can get the kit lens for cheap, then go for both. When I first got my D3100 I used both lenses a lot, now my 55-200 doesn't get as much use because I have a 70-300. But the 18-55 is still good for portraits... Try for both. :)

Hi,

Thanks

Jon

Congratulations on your new camera.

I think it's too soon to spend any money on another lens. Set the one you have at 55 mm. That's pretty much what a 55 mm lens is going to look like. Set it at 200 mm. That's pretty much what a 200 mm lens is going to look like. Set it any where in between...... take pictures, find out what you like, what you don't like. Find out what you want it to do. Figure out how to make it do it.... & whatever you can't make it do, put that on your list of things you want your next lens to do.

Check out the pictures on this forum, read up on the techniques, gear, & settings used. Try to emulate the things you like.

That camera you have there (I've got one myself, spent a little more than you did a year ago) will do about 97% of what you'll see here.

Most reactions

Back