Nikon d3100

Hi,

Bit of an update. Managed to get a 55-200 mm lens for $50 dollars which I'm happy with. Do I need to still get the kit lens or will this one be OK to start?

Thanks

Jon

A lens with a minimum focal length of 55mm is a bit long for "every day" walking around shots. E.g. suppose you want to take a photo of a group of people in your home. You'll find that at 55mm you'll have your back pressed to the wall and may even want to stand in the next room and shoot through the door to get everyone in the frame.

The reason the "kit" (starter) lens is an 18-55mm is because that's an excellent range for "every day" shots. The lens offers a mild (but not extreme) wide angle through a mild (but again... not extreme) telephoto.

A "normal" focal length for your camera is about 35mm.. that means the angle of view approximates the angle of view of your own eyes. If you can look forward and see it in the main part of your vision without having to "look around" then the 35mm lens can probably fit it in the frame. It will seem neither wide-angle nor telephoto (this applies to your camera which has an "APS-C" size sensor. A camera with a "full frame" sensor such as a D600 or D800 would get approximately the same angle of view using a 50mm lens and a 35mm would seem to be mildly wide-angle.)

I'd look to see if you can't manage to find a deal on an 18-55mm. Nikon makes two... one has vibration reduction and the other does not. There's also a much higher-end version (a 17-55mm f/2.8) but it's substantially more expensive (lists for about $1500 in the US) because it can collect about 66% more light at the wide-angle (17mm end) and FOUR TIMES more light at the long end (55mm end). That's a HUGE advantage in low light situations or any situation where you want a faster shutter speed. A less expensive way to have a lens that works exceptionally well in low light is to simply buy a lens that does not zoom (such as a 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8). Lenses that don't zoom are referred to as "prime" lenses.

Defiantly buy this camera (d3100) I have one and it has Easley fill my needs I am now upgrading due to the fact that I am making a career out of photography but it is the best dslr for beginners and even after that its a great camera with its guide mode and ease of use its very easy to get great images. And for that price you should defiantly buy it.

Jack M'crystal Photography

Thanks all. Picked the camera up today brand new mint condition. Picking up the 55-200 mm tomorrow for 50 dollars and actively looking to buy a 18-55 mm. Gonna get to know the basics and take it from there. Again your input as been greatly appreciated. Thanks Jon

Most reactions

Back