Nikon D3100

Vesie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys
I need your help... I am a beginner photographer - love photography and believe i am capable of taking pretty decent photos (not professional..)!

I have been using a Nikon D3100 but would like to upgrade myself ... Therefore, I am facing a dilemma whether to buy a new camera and lenses or to upgrate the one I have with more powerful lenses.... Since it is an investment in any case i was wondering if anyone is able to help with any advice?
Is D3100 good enough to be worth investing in buying new lenses for it rather than buying a newer camera with better qualities...
With respect that the new is some cases better by default, i like my camera and if it is worth - i would not mind investing in it...

Any advice is valuable and much appreciated!!

Cheers
Vessy

What lenses do you have already. What is your main type of photography

How much shooting have you done? I only outgrew my D5100 after 5 years.

Best is good camera with good lenses, also what lenses would you want ?
DX or FX ?
If you thinking to move in future to FX body then FX lenses are the right way.
D3100 is ok but to be honest its pretty old, I would try to upgrade both slowly.

It deppends on your budget. One camera to consider buying first before lenses is possibly a D7200. It has a body focus motor. It would allow you to buy very good used AF lenses that requires a motor in the body. Thus saving money on good lenses. The D7200 would have better dynamic range, better color, and better ISO performnace. The D7200 was already replaced by a D7500 so it's a little be less than it was when it first came out. If you don't mind used or refurbished can save a little more with them as well.

The D7200 will have a much better AF system, will be able to use a couple stops of higher ISO, has better controls with buttons or dials, instead of going to menu's to make a change. Better built body. All and all a better camera. A D7100 which is previous version would also be a good candidate to upgrade too. Both are advanced cameras.

Right now NikonUSA.com has refurbished D7100 for $569.96 and D7200 for $849.96. Both are very good prices. Either camera would be a good step up from your D3100. Probably be really hard to beat that D7100 price. Thats less than half of when it was new / introduced.

It deppends on your budget. One camera to consider buying first before lenses is possibly a D7200. It has a body focus motor. It would allow you to buy very good used AF lenses that requires a motor in the body. Thus saving money on good lenses. The D7200 would have better dynamic range, better color, and better ISO performnace. The D7200 was already replaced by a D7500 so it's a little be less than it was when it first came out. If you don't mind used or refurbished can save a little more with them as well.

The D7200 will have a much better AF system, will be able to use a couple stops of higher ISO, has better controls with buttons or dials, instead of going to menu's to make a change. Better built body. All and all a better camera. A D7100 which is previous version would also be a good candidate to upgrade too. Both are advanced cameras.

Right now NikonUSA.com has refurbished D7100 for $569.96 and D7200 for $849.96. Both are very good prices. Either camera would be a good step up from your D3100. Probably be really hard to beat that D7100 price. Thats less than half of when it was new / introduced.

I agree I upgraded from a D 5300 to the D 7200. I love the D 7200 and I am very happy with my upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would upgrade the camera first in your case. The 3100 is old tech. What features do you feel need to be upgraded? AF system? Number of MP’s? Easier access to change settings? Number of SD slots? Better low light performance? Flash options? What you are using it to shoot and what needs improvement will determine your best options to upgrade. Whichever body you decide to buy, consider used or refurbished to stretch your budget. Spend the rest on a 35 or 50 1.8 to pair with your new body.

I respectfully disagree with anyone saying upgrade your camera without knowing lenses and style of shooting.

For example if you have a slow old lens but like doing portraits, a 50mm f1.8 could be a great addition

I would upgrade the camera first in your case. The 3100 is old tech. What features do you feel need to be upgraded? AF system? Number of MP’s? Easier access to change settings? Number of SD slots? Better low light performance? Flash options? What you are using it to shoot and what needs improvement will determine your best options to upgrade. Whichever body you decide to buy, consider used or refurbished to stretch your budget. Spend the rest on a 35 or 50 1.8 to pair with your new body.

Yes, I agree 100% with SquarePeg on this one...the 3100 is now old-tech...the 5300 and newer models have really improved the sensor performance that the 3100 era had. Also, the viewfinder magnification of the 3xxx series models has been updated; some of the newest 5xxx models have a touch screen with camera commands AND tap-to-focus.

I would update from a 3100 if you want some improved camera features. Both the 3xxx and 5xxx series have slightly small pentamirror viewfinders; the 5xxx have the flip screen; the 7xxx models 7100 and 7200 have the ability to autofocus with the AF and AF-D series lenses, as well as the AF-S and ADF-S G series lenses, and the VERY-newest bodies can use the VERY-newest AF-P lenses like the 70-300 AF-P VR lens, which performs, according to Thom Hogan, like a big, expensive, top-level Nikkor zoom when shot on the D3400, which is a new cam that HAS built-in AF-P focus support.

The 35mm DX Nikkor, and the 50/1.8 AF-S G Nikkor prime lenses...VERY good,solid investments

Thanks a million you guys!!!
Much appreciate your input! I will look into falling in love with a new body and invest in new lenses from then on :)
Thanks again!!
Vessie

Yes, I agree 100% with SquarePeg on this one...the 3100 is now old-tech...the 5300 and newer models have really improved the sensor performance that the 3100 era had. Also, the viewfinder magnification of the 3xxx series models has been updated; some of the newest 5xxx models have a touch screen with camera commands AND tap-to-focus.
What does it matter that it's old-tech if OP isn't limited by it? Buying just for the sake of having "the newest tech"? She claims to like the camera, so it doesn't seem like the camera is the limiting factor.
But it's not my money, so whatever.

What does it matter that it's old-tech if OP isn't limited by it? Buying just for the sake of having "the newest tech"? She claims to like the camera, so it doesn't seem like the camera is the limiting factor.
Well smart guy, the OP said she wanted an upgrade. The camera was designed 10 years ago and premiered seven years ago. it has a 14 megapixel old tech sensor that's very crappy compared to the newest most modern sensors. Beginners and intermediate level shooters are the ones who benefit the very most from upgrades of Camera, and lens.the D3299 lacks the wide dynamic range and the incredible exposure recoverability and workability of new or Nikon cameras. I used to sell cameras. And once again for emphasis: My experience is that beginners and intermediate level shooters are the ones who benefit the very most from upgrading their camera, and their lenses. People like me with 40 years behind the lens? We can easily compensate for crap cameras and subpar lenses, but Noobs do better with better gear. If it were me and I were going to sell this person a camera I would say by a Nikon D750. Because as I found out selling cameras to hundreds of people, the beginner or the intermediate benefits a huge amount by having a fast, responsive, good, camera. And that's why it's not your money that I'm trying to spend but rather the OP's money Clear now?

Last edited:

So, we should not buy new cars that get better mileage? Should not buy smart phones and go back to flip phones. Sometimes people want the newest / greatest even if they don't need all the features of the newest greatest. Is that economical, no. But the world has not been that way for a very long time!

Well smart guy, the OP said she wanted an upgrade. The camera was designed 10 years ago and premiered seven years ago. it has a 14 megapixel old tech sensor that's very crappy compared to the newest most modern sensors. Beginners and intermediate level shooters are the ones who benefit the very most from upgrades of Camera, and lens.the D3299 lacks the wide dynamic range and the incredible exposure recoverability and workability of new or Nikon cameras. I used to sell cameras. And once again for emphasis: My experience is that beginners and intermediate level shooters are the ones who benefit the very most from upgrading their camera, and their lenses. People like me with 40 years behind the lens? We can easily compensate for crap cameras and subpar lenses, but Noobs do better with better gear. If it were me and I were going to sell this person a camera I would say by a Nikon D750. Because as I found out selling cameras to hundreds of people, the beginner or the intermediate benefits a huge amount by having a fast, responsive, good, camera. And that's why it's not your money that I'm trying to spend but rather the OP's money Clear now?
No, it's not clear. She asked for an advice if she'd benefit more from a camera or from a new lens. She never responded to any of the questions about her experience etc., but she said she likes the camera and if it's good enough, she wanted to invest in new lenses.
It's nice you have 40 years "behind the lens", but you obviously don't care about her as a person/photographer and you calling her a noob just proves it. Not sure how it's in US, but actually it's quite offensive.
I don't pretend to be a smart guy, unlike someone else. I just believe many questions shouldn't be answered like "oh, I've got experience, it's like this!", but through discussion and finding out what the person actually wants, not what you think she wants. You'd be probably surprised, but those two things could be very far apart.

Most reactions

Back