Nikon D3200 DxOMark score: second best APS-C camera ever

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by StandingBear1983, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Nikon_Josh

Nikon_Josh TPF Noob!

At what point did I say the D3200 was not a good camera? It's one heck of a camera, I was actuallly defending the D3200 in a strange kind of way. There is no doubt about it, the camera is aimed at newbie users who generally will be shooting using Auto functions. That's why their is so much menu digging involved on these cameras!

And your saying I am a Canon fanboy when my name is ''Nikon_Josh''?? I am completely unbiased actually, I love Nikon products and much prefer them but I don't get caught up in fanboyism.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nikon_Josh

Nikon_Josh TPF Noob!

I am glad you see the funny side too! :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  3. matthewo

matthewo TPF Noob!

It might have a decent sensor but it still feels cheap and little in hand

4. Solarflare

Solarflare TPF Noob!

Personally I think Dynamic Range is the most important of the three parameters. The dynamic range of our eyes is about 24 steps. The dynamic range of chemical film is about 16 to 18 steps. The dynamic range of the D7000/D5100 chip is 12 at ISO 100, so theres still plenty of room for improvement, and thats why there is HDR, after all.

Low light tolerance is the second most important, since it allows to photograph under bad light conditions. Obviously there is no limit on how much you can improve. I am already amazed how bright pictures I manage with my D5100 + 35mm/1.8 DX, though. Brighter than what I see with my own eyes.

Color depth, I dont want to talk it down, but I think there are simply dimishing returns with this one. JPEG and most other picture formats dont support more than 8 bit per color channel. For all I know, you need 8 bit for red and blue, and 9 bit for green - thats all the eyes themselves can master. So yeah, 23.5 bit of the D7000/D5100 is not optimal yet. But its something you'll have a hard time to actually see. You'll need a very soft distribution of green to actually see the difference between D3200 and D7000/D5100. The picture might change a bit though with HDR since that obviously has to remap colors, so more color precision means less error.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StandingBear1983

StandingBear1983 TPF Noob!

Solarflare - just out of curiosity here, what is the camera with the most steps? (you said 24 is the human eye), about the D5100 with a 35mm 1.8G in low light, i totally agree...i have that combo exactly and it rocks my socks and almost never failed to get pictures even in very low light...like bars and stuff like that...

6. mjhoward

mjhoward TPF Noob!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  7. sovietdoc

sovietdoc TPF Noob!

According to DxO D3200 has a better sensor than my 5D III. Except RAW files made by 5D III at almost any ISO are significantly larger than the raw's made by D3200, although D3200 has more megapixels. All that information in 5D's file sure must be garbage.

8. darrenberk

darrenberk TPF Noob!

time to replace your 5d III eh? :sexywink:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  9. Solarflare

Solarflare TPF Noob!

Sorry, didnt saw your posting until now.

According to DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings the current record for this is the Nikon D800 with 14.4 stops (interestingly this list also claims the D7000 would manage 13.9 and the D5100 would manage 13.6 - much better than what I read from other sources and inconsistent with the fact that D7000 and D5100 actually have the exact same fotochip and should thus be equal in this parameter).

10. Patrice

Patrice TPF Noob!

Yeah really. As someone else said in this thread, there are other parameters to include when rating cameras. Any one camera can have very many different end ratings depending on which features the rater deems important.

Personally, I'd like to see how many stitches are in the supplied neck strap.