Nikon D3200 DxOMark score: second best APS-C camera ever

StandingBear1983

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK. So the D3200 will stay there until the next advance in image sensor and image processor technology allows a newer design to knock it down the list.

Using Moore's law as a guage, that will happen in 2 years or so.

From a usability point of view, the D3200 still only has 1 Command wheel, few external controls (more menu diving), only 1 cross-type AF point (11 total), the tiny 420 pixel metering sensor, only 95% pentamirror viewfinder, no CLS Commander mode, but they did add Bulb mode.

Last edited:
DxOMark just released their test results for the recently announced Nikon D3200 DSLR camera ($699) which scored the #10 spot on their overall score list (5 of the top 10 cameras are made by Nikon; there are also 3 Phase One and 2 Pentax models).

No doubt about it, this is impressive stuff!

But this has made me question the way DXO mark review things, how the hell can the d3200 have the same sensor performance as a 5D MK3 when the Canon full frame has twice the ISO performance of the D3200? Something very strange about how they get their overall scores! :er:

No doubt about it, this is impressive stuff!

But this has made me question the way DXO mark review things, how the hell can the d3200 have the same sensor performance as a 5D MK3 when the Canon full frame has twice the ISO performance of the D3200? Something very strange about how they get their overall scores! :er:

ISO performance isn't the only metric by which to evaluate an imaging sensor. D3200 apparently has the 5DMKIII beat by 1.5 stops in Dynamic Range. The 5DMKIII beats the D3200, apparently, by only 1 stop. I can only assum they weight ISO heavier than Dynamic Range, but there is the bulk of your difference.

Last edited:
Does this mean all nikon d7000 users have to upgrade?

From a usability point of view, the D3200 still only has 1 Command wheel, few external controls (more menu diving), only 1 cross-type AF point (11 total), the tiny 420 pixel metering sensor, only 95% pentamirror viewfinder, no CLS Commander mode, but they did add Bulb mode.

Yes and the D3200 is a camera designed for entry level users who will only use the Auto mode, so none of these things matter to the targeted market.

Yes and the D3200 is a camera designed for entry level users who will only use the Auto mode, so none of these things matter to the targeted market.

It would also be nice if other models would have similar upgrades. I must agree, the usability is still limited in the D3200. Main reason reason I stuck with my D3100. For the same price as the D3200, I got my D3100 with the 55-200mm lens. Albeit, IQ is arguably much better.

Hmm.

This list is pretty funny. Rating cameras by only 3 parameters ?

The only reason the D3200 beat the D7000/D5100(*) is because it has 24.1 bit color depth vs 23.5 bit. An advantage that will be gone in anything but ISO 100, since the D3200 has a lot more noise. In the other two categories, the D3200 is much behind.

Quite frankly if the D5200 has the exact same body as the D5100, except it get the fotochip of the D3200, I will prefer my good old D5100 by far.

(*) D7000 and D5100 have the same fotochip, thats because this list claims they are "same quality".

NO DSLR is designed to only shoot in Auto..thats BS...low grade P&S is for people that want to stay in Auto mode...or don't bother...or stay at home mummies that want to shoot blurry pics of there family ;).

Stop comparing the D3200 to a 5000\7000 series DSLR...different beasts...the D3200 is a 'noob' DSLR, still, its one heck of a 'noob' camera as you can see :D.

What are you saying that Doxmark has connections with Nikon? - maybe you can't handle the fact that Nikon Kicked ass this year and chewed Canon's bubblegum :D.

NO DSLR is designed to only shoot in Auto..thats BS...low grade P&S is for people that want to stay in Auto mode...or don't bother...or stay at home mummies that want to shoot blurry pics of there family ;).

Stop comparing the D3200 to a 5000\7000 series DSLR...different beasts...the D3200 is a 'noob' DSLR, still, its one heck of a 'noob' camera as you can see :D.

What are you saying that Doxmark has connections with Nikon? - maybe you can't handle the fact that Nikon Kicked ass this year and chewed Canon's bubblegum :D.

At what point did I say the D3200 was not a good camera? It's one heck of a camera, I was actuallly defending the D3200 in a strange kind of way. There is no doubt about it, the camera is aimed at newbie users who generally will be shooting using Auto functions. That's why their is so much menu digging involved on these cameras!

And your saying I am a Canon fanboy when my name is ''Nikon_Josh''?? I am completely unbiased actually, I love Nikon products and much prefer them but I don't get caught up in fanboyism.

It might have a decent sensor but it still feels cheap and little in hand

Most reactions

Back