Nikon D3300

Was it worth coming out with an entirely new entry-level model line just for the lack of an AA filter (that these users won't benefit from/notice) and a reinvented 18-55?

The trend really seems to be, every time they have the slightest improvement they could add to a camera, just release it as a new model line.

At least you know the D3200 we be on Black Friday sales in 2014...

Was it worth coming out with an entirely new entry-level model line just for the lack of an AA filter (that these users won't benefit from/notice) and a reinvented 18-55?

The trend really seems to be, every time they have the slightest improvement they could add to a camera, just release it as a new model line.

At least you know the D3200 we be on Black Friday sales in 2014...

We all know to truly get the advantage of a camera with no AA filter you need very good glass, I dont see the average user of a D3300 getting really good glass that will cost many times the value of its camera.
If I was in the market for a good basic DSLR I dont think I would pay the extra cash for the D3300 and go for a discounted D3200 or even D5100

Well, what are they supposed to do when they make a modest change to a camera? Just release it as the same thing?

That sounds awesome. A used market full of Nikon 3100s all with various combinations of features. A product line consisting of one thing: A Nikon Whatsit which contains whatever the hell set of features we're in love with today! What fun!

Nikon has well established that when the leave the first digit alone and change some of the later ones, we're looking at modest changes to essentially the same camera. It's like a minor version number, but without the annoying dots.

We all know to truly get the advantage of a camera with no AA filter you need very good glass

Most common fallacy in cameras, I swear. Anything that increases system sharpness increases system sharpness. You'll get sharper pictures with a lensbaby, a kit lens, or a wildly expensive prime. I think stripping the AA filters is a bit of a gimmick, but it seems to increase sharpness. The gimmick part is that more sharpness isn't as valuable as we think.

We all know to truly get the advantage of a camera with no AA filter you need very good glass, I dont see the average user of a D3300 getting really good glass that will cost many times the value of its camera. If I was in the market for a good basic DSLR I dont think I would pay the extra cash for the D3300 and go for a discounted D3200 or even D5100

I think the Strategy is to Trap less knowledgeable Beginner just wanting to Buy a new DSLR. The Salesman gets to talk about selling points like AA filter, Expeed-4 processor, 24 MP, etc which will not help the Amateur in his pics but he won't know and will end up paying extra money for Useless features

A bargin for the specs and the price.

Well, what are they supposed to do when they make a modest change to a camera? Just release it as the same thing?

What's the point of these modest changes and new model lines? Going from a 14MP to a 24MP sensor was not a modest improvement (3100 to 3200). That's an understandable change. But there's really no advantage of the D3300 over the D3200 besides being able to shoot panoramas like a cell phone; which is really just a firmware upgrade and then they removed the AA screen and slapped a new number on it. I just don't quite get it.

So now as of Feb, Nikon will be selling new the D3100, D3200, as well as the D5100, D5200, D90, D7000, D300s and D600--all which have at least one other body that supersedes them. Just seems like an odd move to me.

And this BF we saw a huge surge in people purchasing D7000s, D5100s, and D3100s. Models that are very old, the D7000 and D3100 are a 2010 camera and the D5100 a 2011, and like I said, all being superseded by at least one more model line. It just seems like a way for Nikon to sell the same product at a higher price tag without actually having to put effort into making a new product.

Last edited:

What's the point of these modest changes and new model lines? Going from a 14MP to a 24MP sensor was not a modest improvement (3100 to 3200). That's an understandable change. But there's really no advantage of the D3300 over the D3200 besides being able to shoot panoramas like a cell phone; which is really just a firmware upgrade and then they removed the AA screen and slapped a new number on it. I just don't quite get it.

So now as of Feb, Nikon will be selling new the D3100, D3200, as well as the D5100, D5200, D90, D7000, and D600. Just seems like an odd move to me. and This BF we saw a huge surge in people purchasing D7000s, D5100s, and D3100s. It just seems like a way for Nikon to sell the same product at a higher price tag without actually having to put effort into making a new product.

Personally I'm thrilled, in fact the more cameras they can release with new model numbers the better. Droves of people will be rushing to upgrade to get the latest and greatest, they'll be putting their old equipment on Ebay, and the prices on all the used stuff goes down just a bit more.

So I'm personally hoping for a D3300R (Red version), A D3300A (put the AA fliter back in so people can keep debating that topic endlessly) and maybe even a D3300x - you wouldn't really have to do anything to the x model, people will buy it just because it's got an x on the end.. lol.

Nope, I'm all for as many Nikon releases this year as I can get, just helps drive down prices in the used market when folks who think you absolutely always have to have the latest model rush out to upgrade.

Nope, I'm all for as many Nikon releases this year as I can get, just helps drive down prices in the used market when folks who think you absolutely always have to have the latest model rush out to upgrade.

You think I would have been able to get my D600 without the release of the D600, I mean D610?

As a nikon user already, I'd like to see effort put elsewhere, but it's understandable that the focus is on capturing new users, but I dont see where this D3300 will put someone over the edge over the D3200 or another comparably priced competitor's model.

Compare Nikon and their rapid introduction of new models to Apple if you will. Once all the people have one of the latest, wait a while and introduce a "newer/improved" model with a few more bells and whistles. I could not keep up with MacIntosh years ago, and it looks like I will not be able to keep up with Nikon these days. But, I have what I want now, and see no need to "upgrade" anyway.

*hic* a glass is a glass and no AA filter gonna change that.

OK, Alcoholics Anonymous stuff aside, what's an AA filter?

*hic* a glass is a glass and no AA filter gonna change that.

OK, Alcoholics Anonymous stuff aside, what's an AA filter?

I'm sure others can better explain it but I believe the AA filter is designed to prevent Moire. I think it's a aging dinosaur with modern DSLRs but not sure. I know my D7100 doesn't come with one and I did fine using my old 18-55mm kit lens on it while I waited for my 28-70mm 2.8.

5fps? Lol whatttttt?

A bargin for the specs and the price.

I agree...a LOT of camera for the price. Good video specs, 5 frames per second, the new panoramic mode, new processor, new collapsible barrel 18-55mm VR kit lens, no AA filter...more megapixels than in any Canon camera at any price...fully buzzword compliant for people who buy cameras on-line or by comparing spec sheets...

The low-end d-slrs are the ones that sell in the highest volumes, and the camera makers iterate them VERY rapidly these days.

As I pointed out in the Nikon D4s thread--the MSRP of $249 for the new collapsible barrel kit lens seems like a nod to Nikon's dealer network. I think that price for ANY kind of 18-55 kit lens is a bone for the dealers.

Most reactions

Back