Nikon D40, ahem???

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone see this yet? The article has that it's a "budget" dSLR so I'm guessing it would priced under the D50. Anyone have any ideas or other info?

Haha yeah I don't know... on one hand I thought it was cool to attract more people in dSLR's but I don't know. Someone commented in the article that it would be an SLR version of a point and shoot. I'd hope that's not the case but then again... something has to go to save on the cost. Oh well... at least my D50 won't be the low man anymore. :D

Why would this be surprising? Anybody with sense can expect a D3X someday. So a D40, probably a specced down D50 to milk the mass markets, and manufactured by a third party manufacturer, was in the cards all along, of course. Just as Canon's inescapable answer will be.

Now I'm sure marketing people are very clever, even if they are evil (no offence to any marketing folks present :mrgreen: ) so I'm in no position to second-guess them, but, in a word, why? As in, why should someone buy this and not simply buy a D50? Now that every company has 10mp models available and everyone seems to want one, all the entry-level 6mp models are dropping in price to a point where you can get one for about the same price as a point & shoot anyway... so again, why?

Most consumer level photographers don't need anything better than a 6.1 MP camera...especially when the sensor is a decent size. A lot of people are learning than a DSLR is better than a digi-cam...but they don't want to spend $700 or more...so I think that a cheap DSLR is a great idea.

If you go by the numbers...what are the most popular DLSR models of the last 5 years? Probably the cheapest ones.

We know that when you buy a DSLR (or even a 35mm film SLR) you are buying into a system. If Nikon can attract more new users into their system...it should ultimately pay off down the road...if and when these people want to upgrade the camera or lenses.

If anything, it helps drive down the price of all the other DSLR cameras. Now if only Nikon would come out with a full fame sensor...it would force Canon to sell a cheaper full frame DSLR.

I wouldn't say it's surprising either especially given the above comments however it's still worth a post.

W.Smith said:
Why would this be surprising?

I'll be curious to see what the spec's are on it.

Big Mike said:
Most consumer level photographers don't need anything better than a 6.1 MP camera...especially when the sensor is a decent size. A lot of people are learning than a DSLR is better than a digi-cam...but they don't want to spend $700 or more...so I think that a cheap DSLR is a great idea.

It certainly is... which is why I would suggest people consider a cheap dSLR for under $700... like the D50. :mrgreen:

I don't doubt it'll pay off for Nikon... I just wonder if it'll pay off for the consumer. IMO the price point would have to be really low to make it better value than a D50.

Makes me glad I stick with Pentax... they would never do something as lazy as re-using the same sensor and basic camera design while adding or removing minor functions and changing the name slightly... oh, wait a minute. :lmao:

Big Mike said:
Now if only Nikon would come out with a full fame sensor...it would force Canon to sell a cheaper full frame DSLR.

And that is the dream... when more than one company starts making full-frame dSLRs and they become affordable to the likes of me, I will be a very happy man.

IMO the price point would have to be really low to make it better value than a D50.
My guess would be that this new camera would be a replacement for the D50...and not just another addition to the lineup. But even if it's $50 cheaper than an D50...it would be a good value.

when more than one company starts making full-frame dSLRs and they become affordable to the likes of me, I will be a very happy man.
Me Too :thumbsup:

I would love to see a D40. I really want to get an SLR, but I don't really want to spend $600 on one; if the D40 was priced just $100 less than the D50, it would make me consider it much more heavily.

Thoughts if the leaked specs and pics are accurate:

(1) No top LCD - hello huge battery drain.
(2) No Screwdriver Motor - Hello thousands of questions of "Why won't my camera work with my 50mm f/1.8 lens"
(3) As a personal gripe, the thing looks the size of a Rebel XT if not smaller. The entire REASON I went Nikon is because their larger bodies felt better in my hands than the Canon offerings at the same price point.

Any news on when this will be out, looks perfect for my needs!

RikC said:
Any news on when this will be out, looks perfect for my needs!
If it's not formally announced before the end of November (for the Xmas season), then I expect it will be just before PMA in February.

But how can you say "this [...] looks perfect for my needs!" if there isn't any info about specs at all? It's all pure speculation! Fantasy. Projection. Even the fact that its price-point would be below the D50's. Sofar that's only wishful thinking.

Going off that this would be the cheapest DSLR around, that's perfect for me.

I think the point is that we don't know that it will be the cheapest DSLR around. Even if it's the cheapest new model, you may still be able to buy a D50, 350D or similar spec model from another company for less now that they've been replaced by newer models. Or maybe not. We don't know yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back