Nikon D40 Help

johnd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to photography and jsut purchased a Nikon D40. Can anyone tell me how to set it up so that the 2.5 inch monitor is always on? I've read the manual and can't seem to figure it out. I'd appreciate any help.

That'll drain the battery if you keep it on. But if you want, I'm sure theres a setting (you might have to get the "FULL MENU" to get at it) that determines how soon the menu shuts down.

Great choice:) I don't keep mine on because of battery power. I have walked around at a concert for 5 hours taking photos and battery life was still going strong:)

If you are getting at the fact that you would like to shoot a photo while looking at your LCD, I don't think this is possible. Plus, being a D40 owner you should be warned of the forum conspiracy to have your shutter lock up on you. You see us D40 (x) owners don't have an on body AF motor so if we want to purchase any prime lenses w/a fine f-stop we will have to use them in manual mode. Now this makes some of the old timers around here very nervous because us D40 (x) owners are slowly mastering the art of digital manual focusing. We have a website called www.focusing_from_the_soul.com and are setting new standards in manual focusing abilities/capabilities. If you look in some of the post where ppl ask what camera to purchase you can see the fear from any of the ole' timers posts just dripping out of the corners of your monitor once a D40 (x) is recommended. No matter what, do not worry, do not give in, do not hesitate to be great! You chose a D40 (x) because you want to learn photography and not a camera (there is time for that later).:greenpbl:

have a good one
3Eo

Hahhahah what have you been smoking.

When you mean always on you mean gives you a preview on the LCD to compose your shot like every other point and shoot digital cameras? This is called Live View and it is a feature not found in most Digital SLR. The simple reason is it is an SLR camera. There's a rapid return reflex mirror in the way of the sensor. Use the view finder.

I certainly hope he/she is taking the piss.

You'd be surprised how many times I have seen a liveview question here. I always thought taking the piss was an Australian saying.

I dont blame folks - I know I wanted liveview when I was looking for a camera, and was bummed when I saw not a single dSLR had it. I got over it.

I have no idea where or why I know what that phrase means. . .it sounds british.

British, Australian, aren't they the same thing?

(ducking now)

If you are getting at the fact that you would like to shoot a photo while looking at your LCD, I don't think this is possible. Plus, being a D40 owner you should be warned of the forum conspiracy to have your shutter lock up on you. You see us D40 (x) owners don't have an on body AF motor so if we want to purchase any prime lenses w/a fine f-stop we will have to use them in manual mode. Now this makes some of the old timers around here very nervous because us D40 (x) owners are slowly mastering the art of digital manual focusing. We have a website called www.focusing_from_the_soul.com and are setting new standards in manual focusing abilities/capabilities. If you look in some of the post where ppl ask what camera to purchase you can see the fear from any of the ole' timers posts just dripping out of the corners of your monitor once a D40 (x) is recommended. No matter what, do not worry, do not give in, do not hesitate to be great! You chose a D40 (x) because you want to learn photography and not a camera (there is time for that later).:greenpbl:

have a good one
3Eo
ummm.... except that thre rest of us can set our lenses to be manual lenses if we want...... so......yeah. But whatever helps you sleep at night. You should write Nikon D40 ads btw, makes it sound better than it is :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back