Nikon D40 or Canon XT

crowl31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a beginer and looking to buy either the Nikon D40 or the Canon XT. Does anyone have a suggestion or input on which one I should go with.

Or

Should I save more money and go for the D40x or XTI.

Thanks!

If you do a search, you will find that this is a very popular question and has been answered many times already.

Well some things to keep in mind are that the D40 can't autofocus with all lenses, and that you are buying a system. Look ahead and think about lens prices and stuff like that.

Well some things to keep in mind are that the D40 can't autofocus with all lenses, and that you are buying a system. Look ahead and think about lens prices and stuff like that.

So the XT will autofocus with most lenses?

Which camera fits more lenses?

I have the D40:) I Like Nikon better because when I was looking at the D40 or XT I went to the store and held them. The D40 felt much nicer to me as well as better built. Now that is just my opinion and I am not bashing Canon at all. I would say if you can get a D80, especially if you want to get into photography. If you just want a nice DSLR for just family shooting then the D40 is a great choice as you can get the 18-55 and the 55-200 and you are set. If you want to go into photography then I would say don't make the mistake I made, save and get the D80 as you get the AF motor. Thankfully for me Sigma makes lens with the HSM motor that work in my D40. I will upgrade after I have learned on my D40. I just got the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and it has the HSM motor and works great on my D40. Hope that helps:) If you are going to save for the D4x then just get the D80, the D40x is just a D40 with more megapixels which is not worth the extra money, you still don't get the AF motor.

Save for a Rebel XTi. I don't like the Rebel XT/ D40, because I think if you save up a lil more money you can get a better camera.

But when the D40x is compared to the XTi I like the XTi.

I liked the d40 better too, it feels like a camera more than the Rebel XTI. The rebel feels like a plastic camera instead of a dslr.

The only lens I've found that it won't autofocus on are the 70-300 lenses.
don't say that, the Canon D Rebel XT will autofocus with ALL Canon EF mount lenses, the Nikon D40 will not focus with all Nikon F-mount lenses. I personally think that the D40 is an absolute horrible Digital SLR made purely to scam buyers out of money. Look at it this way, the D40 can only use AF-S lenses to autofocus. AF-S lenses cost more than their older AF-I counterparts. The D40 is a budget camera correct? However, by saving 3 or 4 hundread dollars in getting the camera, it potentially costs you thousands more in lenses, it's a scam to get Nikon more money! and if the people don't buy the lenses, they out grow their D40s really quickly and buy a D80 STILL getting Nikon more money. Also if you decide to keep a D40, you get only 3 AF points compared to 7 on the XT. I may be a Canon fanboy who went with the XT myself, but even most Nikon users will tell you, stay away from the D40 and D40X cameras, the only people who will recommend them are owners of D40s who want to justify their purchases.

don't say that, the Canon D Rebel XT will autofocus with ALL Canon EF mount lenses, the Nikon D40 will not focus with all Nikon F-mount lenses. I personally think that the D40 is an absolute horrible Digital SLR made purely to scam buyers out of money. Look at it this way, the D40 can only use AF-S lenses to autofocus. AF-S lenses cost more than their older AF-I counterparts. The D40 is a budget camera correct? However, by saving 3 or 4 hundread dollars in getting the camera, it potentially costs you thousands more in lenses, it's a scam to get Nikon more money! and if the people don't buy the lenses, they out grow their D40s really quickly and buy a D80 STILL getting Nikon more money. Also if you decide to keep a D40, you get only 3 AF points compared to 7 on the XT. I may be a Canon fanboy who went with the XT myself, but even most Nikon users will tell you, stay away from the D40 and D40X cameras, the only people who will recommend them are owners of D40s who want to justify their purchases.

I work in a camera store. All I meant was that the 70-300 lens is the only one I've found that it won't autofucus on. I'm sure there are more. I agree that the D40 is a toy. The lenses I've tried on one that it will AF on is the 18-55, 18-200, 55-200, 18-135, and my 2 VR lenses...24-120, and 18-200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back