Nikon D40 or D40 w/Kit?

imanewbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure I want the D40 as I graduate from point-and-shoot to SLR. But what I don't know is if it's worth the extra $ for the kit version? In other words, can someone tell me in layman's terms what the extra 55-200 mm lens gets me? Is it simply closer-up photos with more detail and more out of focus background? Is it that simple?

In general I want to be able to take some kick-butt photos, and I'm not sure if I need/want the extra lens.

Thanks for any input!

Well, it is the ceapest way to get a good zoom range like that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the 18-55mm lens over the 55-200mm, assuming you're getting only one lens. Reason being is that the 55-200mm will be somewhat limiting for indoor shots of family and friends. Assuming again, in the early days you will likely be taking more of these types of photos.

Just a thought.

The 55-200 comes with a cool petal hood that makes other people think you're smart and know what you're doing.

Add a 2X battery pack, flash and diffuser and noone will be able to tell you from all them fat, well paid, high technology professional, dressed in black nay sayers.

Love the D40 friend.

The 55-200 comes with a cool petal hood that makes other people think you're smart and know what you're doing.

Add a 2X battery pack, flash and diffuser and noone will be able to tell you from all them fat, well paid, high technology professional, dressed in black nay sayers.

Love the D40 friend.

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with taking meaningful photos. I have a 35mm lens that is barely a nub coming off my camera body. I could care less what someone thinks of my lens because I know it takes excellent photos. Sometimes size matters, sometimes it doesn't. The OP has to decide what type of photos they will be taking and from that the lens choice should be at the heart of their conclusion.

it sounds like he either wants to get the body or the body with the lens.

Sounds to me like he would buy the body, open it up and take a pic only to realize there is no lens...

Just my take...

You gotta get a lens bud. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, but if you don't get a kit with a lens, you gotta go and buy one...lol.

In general I want to be able to take some kick-butt photos, and I'm not sure if I need/want the extra lens.

iamanewbie,

I dig the 55-200, and I don't know one lens from another. I made a lady across the street cry with it. I took a picture of her and her husband at the swimming pool. I changed it to black and white, put it in a matted frame I bought off the clearance rack at Big Lots for $5, and wrapped it some old gift paper. She wept and told me that her kids would fight over it someday when they both die and are buried.

You go out and get the one you think you need or just the one you want.

Have some fun while you're at it.

Thanks for any input!

You're welcome! :)

Sideburns: Sorry, I wasn't very clear. :blushing: I thought there were 2 skus defined as:
1. Camera + 18-55mm lens (sku: D40)
2. Camera + 18-55mm lens + 55-200 lens (SKU: D40 Kit)

But it looks like both are defined as a kit. So, my revised question is, do I want a one-lens kit or the two-lens kit? Is the extra $155 worth the 55-200 mm lens? (pricing based on what I found in circuitcity.com)

P.S. I'm a chick, not a dude. :)

The OP has to decide what type of photos they will be taking and from that the lens choice should be at the heart of their conclusion.
My primary subjects are my kids, although one of the reasons I want a better quality camera is to experiment in other stuff. I think photography is fun and I'd love to make it a hobby. Does this really sway anyone's opinion either way? Probably not!! :mrgreen:

my opinion might not matter much, but I was looking at the nikon & cannon. and ended up going with the sony a100 kit. Not only was it alot cheaper than the nikon & canon I personally thought out of the kit lenses the sony had the nicer of the cheap lenses that come in the kits. And if you are just takin pics for fun like me. Saving a couple hundred of $$ will let you get a second lens for the same price as buying the nikon. and i would go to a local camera shop instead of circiut city, where a 16 year old that knows nothing about cameras is going to push the most expensive camera on you for commission. I went to ritz and they actually push me into a cheaper cam than I was going to buy. And let me say "NO REGRETS" i picked up the a100 with a 18-70 lens a high speed 2 gig card, a nice camera back pack, lens cleaner and a uv lens 4 a little under $600 not a bad bargan for a solid slr

Okay, my opinion. I bought the D80 and it came with the 18-55mm kit lens and because of the offer on hand, I also got the 55-200mm VR lens. With the price you stated of $155, it would be an asset to your arsenal in the beginning. It gives you a great range. Those two lenses will do you very well. Hey, they ain't the best by any stretch of the imagination, but as long as you accept the fact that you will need more light to take good shots, then this is a great, inexpensive combo.

I would say check out the Pentax k100d or the Sony A100 or the Canon Rebel XT as well hold them in your hands before making your decision but if you're set on the D40 I'd probably go with the 2 lens kit if you're considering it it means it isn't that much too much money and it might come in handy. They 55-200 will get you a tighter frame (sometimes called zooming in outside of photography) which is useful for things that are far away but it will not get you better portrait style photos.

i would go to a local camera shop instead of circiut city, where a 16 year old that knows nothing about cameras is going to push the most expensive camera on you for commission.

I completely agree, I just used CC to grab pricing.

I'm going to go out on a limb as well and suggest you read this first before deciding to get a D40

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=99621

Thank you - this is very informative.

I'm going to go out on a limb as well and suggest you read this first before deciding to get a D40

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=99621
I couldn't agree more. When I started looking at cameras I was first drawn to D40x and after doing a lot and lot of research I ended up purchasing the Canon 400D for the same price. I have not been dissapointed, this camera performes better than I expected.

Most reactions

Back