Nikon D40 vs Canon S5 Is

LoKaM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I just bought a Canon S5 for 399 and was wondering if I wasn't better off just returning it and getting a Nikon D40, for 80$ more.

I played around a bit with my Canon S5 and to be honest, the pictures aren't THAT much better than with my old point and shoot.

Can anyone tell me the differences out of the box? Would it be a good idea?

I'm planning to do alot of pics and probably taking photography courses..

I just got a Nikon d40x. Its REALLY compact and just $100 more than the d40.... and it has 10.2mp compared to the 6.1pm on the d40. I really enjoy it.

Ok but I really want to know how the two compares..I'm a total noob..I heard about Reflex and DSLR and don't even know what that is..

ALSO : What comes with the Nikon D40? Do you absolutely have to buy another extra Lens with it in order to be able to take pictures? Does it come with batteries? Memory Card

Thanks!

I just used the kit 18-55 and 1 gig memery card for a while till I could afford the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8:) You can get the Nikon 55-200 for $250 later on and be set.

Given the choice between the two, I would choose the D40 without hesitation.

The sensor size alone means a LOT less noise when shooting at higher ISO's, and of course there are a bunch of other quality upgrades that you get in a new DSLR over even an advance point and shoot like the S5 IS.

The downside is that you have to buy more lenses, but a good, nice, inexpensive pair of lenses for the D40 are the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 VR (I paid $183 for mine brand new at Amazon).

Ok but does it come with a basic lens in the box that can do the job for a few weeks?

just make sure you buy the kit (it comes with a kit lens) and not just the body

Ok..but I think the one I saw for 489.99 was the body only :(

Well you can get the body and buy a lens seperately....the kit lens can be had for about $100

hmm..

yeah I might do that..So if I buy the body it doesn't even have the most basic lens ever?

if you buy the body it comes with no lens what so ever and you will not be able to take pictures until you get a lens

Ok..

I guess I will go with that anyway....I think the S5 is more of a point and shoot like you guys said and I think I will be better off in the long run with a D40.

Ok..

I guess I will go with that anyway....I think the S5 is more of a point and shoot like you guys said and I think I will be better off in the long run with a D40.

Last Question does it use AA batteries? Cause I bought a kit of rechargable batteries + charger for the S5..

If it doesn't use those I'll keep them anyway for household uses.

No it comes with its own rechargeable battery......but you will be much better of with the D40 than the S5

Most reactions

New Topics

Back