Nikon D400!! Myth? Whats your opinion?

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heard from various sources Nikon is getting ready to release the D400...however most of the information is miss-matched. For example, some people claim it has 15mp DX sensor, and some a 25mp FX sensor (but then again didn't nikon just release the D3x 25mp fx sensor?) If anyone has more good information on this let me know.

I'm hoping it has a 15mp DX sensor with ISO capabilities of the D700.

Oh yeah, I also heard it's going to have some kind of amazing touch screen.:drool:

The D400 will not be a FX sensor i am 100% sure about that b/c not only did they just come out with the D700 and the D3x but i sure hope that it gets a 15mp sensor that would be sweet, no more worrying about cropping compared to my 6.1mp D70. I would also doubt that it would have the same iso capabilities as a FX sensor but again that would be nice.

I don't know, but I will have a difficult time deciding between this and the D700/D800.

Given that the D300 was from fall of 2007, there will (barring something unexpected) be a D400 out either this year or next (either under that name or some other name). Assuming that it will be similar to the D300 but newer / better, it most likely will have a DX format sensor and will almost certainly have more than 12.3 megapixels (so 15 is a reasonable guess). One might conclude that Nikon is not going to do it at the upcoming PMA, because they've already announced some things and a new DSLR wasn't among them -- but one could also be totally wrong about that...

Beyond that? Who knows -- and for the most part, anyone who tells you they do know is blowing hot air. Before every big industry event (like PMA), there's a little run-up where people try to come up with the most believable "insider information" (aka total and complete baloney) to hash about on the message boards for their own amusement. You'll even see a photoshopped box or two -- before the 5D MkII came out, a common passtime was to photoshop in a "6" over the "5" on pictures of 5D boxes and claim you have the first production copy of the "Canon 6D." It's funny to watch -- but otherwise not worth the bother.

When the D400 comes out, then it's worth considering. Until it does, it's all just rumors, myths, and wild tales.

There will definitely be a new camera from Nikon in the future.

Their marketing people will definitely tell you that is vast improvement over the predecessor.

Most people on gear forums will agree, unless they don't. All will be convinced that they're right.

Their marketing people will definitely tell you that is vast improvement over the predecessor.

Most people on gear forums will agree, unless they don't. All will be convinced that they're right.
It will also probably use the Nikon F-mount, and be compatible with Nikon accessories.

It will also probably use the Nikon F-mount, and be compatible with Nikon accessories.

As such, it will require a Nikon electronical cable release and still not accept one of those $6 mechanical cable releases dammit!

Personally though, I hope the next generation of the D300 will be FX so that Nikon can continue making digital full-frame sensors more affordable for everyone.

Personally though, I hope the next generation of the D300 will be FX so that Nikon can continue making digital full-frame sensors more affordable for everyone.
That's what the D700 is.

IMO, way too early for the "D400". If nikon's going to do anything in the dslr world anytime soon, it's going to be replacing the D40 and/or D60. The D40 uses the same sensor in the D100 for crying out loud!!

I don't much care if there is a D400 or not. With a D700 in my bag, it makes no difference to me.

It is a 100% sure bet that Nikon will come out with a new camera... that is, after all, what they do... sell cameras (and since old cameras do not sell well, out come the new guns every short while).

While one thing that they will NOT do is shoot themselves in the foot. Do not expect a D400 to be FX, its not happening. It will be a DX camera with small improvements just like the D100 and D200 were. They cannot make it too good, as it would kill D700 sales, but they cannot make it the same as the D300 as, again, it would just kill sales.

Expect all the good stuff (fast focus speeds, low noise at higher ISO), to remain the D700's forte, but there will be other improvements to justify a new release (just barely, IMHO).

I've found the specs on a lot of sites to be the same. And they seem like reasonable specs for a D300 upgrade. So it could be legit. And if the price is 2000 I'll be all over getting it as a second body.

If there is a D400 being released, I'm glad to think people agree that it will be an DX sensor. I am not sure if this camera will actually materialize or not...but I'm pulling for it!

when it comes to naming nikon will most likely name it the D400
But i wounder what the D90 replacement will be called, they have already used the D100 name?
Only time will tell

LOL! There's a couple things we can all agree on.

Nikon is running out of numbers here. I think it will be a D300 X/S and, it will not be FF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back