Nikon D50 Display model

rickyg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

A local staples store is selling their Nikon D50 display model for $480. Nikon D50 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens. I have compared the prices with amazon and it seems like an excelent deal. However, I am concerned that I might find trouble with this model, specifically the lens being scratched.

How would I go about checking this before I commit to the price? What else should I consider before buying this display model?

Any tips, suggestions, or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
rickyg

I doubt that the lens would be scratched...modern lenses have very hard coatings. But have a look...you should easily be able to seen any large marks or scratches.

The only thing I would be worried about would be if the shutter had been tripped 10,000 times...and I'm thinking that it probably hasn't. People usually hold the cameras in the store but they don't do too much shooting.

Does it come with a warranty? If so, it's a great deal.

rickyg said:
However, I am concerned that I might find trouble with this model, specifically the lens being scratched.

Er... ask to see it! Hold the lens up to a good light, if you can't see any scratches then the lens isn't scratched. :)

As for what else to consider, standard answer: Nikon D70, D70s, Canon 350d aka Rebel XT, Pentax *ist... all in same price range. Nikon D80, Canon 400d aka Rebel XTi... more megapixels, more features, more expensive.

BTW display model or not, surely they offer some kind of warranty? If so, you shouldn't have a problem if you discover something wrong with the camera.

The guy said it came with a standard one year warranty, even though it was the display model. I asked him about any possible issues with it being the display, and how much punishment it might have taken and he said "I've been here for 6 weeks, and you're the first person to even ask about it", so I suppose it'll be in pretty good shape.

Thanks.
rickyg

One more thing: any accessories in the $50-$100 range worth investing in? I already have a camera case from my 35mm nikon that I think will work well. How's the battery life on these units, and how many images approx will I get on the standard 256 card?

Get a bigger CF Card, at least 1 Gig. As for the batteries, I have 2 for my D70 and they do last quite a while if you are not shooting with the flash.
The only other thing I would recomend in the remote shutter release, it is only a few bucks and works well.

Sensor Dust could also be a big problem. If it had a demo lens on it, not so much, but I've been quite guilty of walking into my local CompUSA and taking the caps off the demo bodies briefly (leaving the sensor to the open air) to look through the viewfinder and get a feel for how large and bright it is comparatively on the various models they have around.

What the others said.

Plus you might want to consider a UV filter and a polarizer filter.
(Never stack 'm!)

well about having to many shots on it, everytime i have looked at a display model and 9 times out of 10 the battery was out on it...so i dont know if i would worry about that...but the lenses most of the time had at leaste one scratch or two...but there are alot of people not so good around here LoLbut yeah like said i dont know if there would be to much to worry about...good find IMO

I would also be curious to know what % of the people that even looked at the cameras in Staples messed with the DSLR's as opposed to the P&S's. It might have taken a much lighter beating than you'd guess.

I got a remote shutter release and lens hood for my D50 from Amazon.com for about $25. Cokin filters are also cheap... you could get the holder and a filter for $40 if you're into graduated filters... that'd be a good suggestion. Also Adorama.com has the Hoya R72 IR filter for about 30 balloons. Just depends what you're into.

rmh I am looking all over for a shutter release for a d50 and i couldnt find one...looked on Ebay and it showed a picture of the connector and couldnt find a hole that looked like that one...searched all over wolf camera . com and yeah...and help? :)

I would recommend not getting the display model. I think over the years I have learned that the demo pieces are not a good value in electronics. As a matter of fact I have swore that I will never buy another one. You don't know who handled it or what they did to it. Think about how many people shop at your Staples.

Quok1mb0 said:
rmh I am looking all over for a shutter release for a d50 and i couldnt find one...looked on Ebay and it showed a picture of the connector and couldnt find a hole that looked like that one...searched all over wolf camera . com and yeah...and help? :)
The D50 only uses a wireless release.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Wireless-Control-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00007EDZG/sr=1-1/qid=1162161057/ref=sr_1_1/102-7008385-5876130?ie=UTF8&s=electronics"]Check this out[/ame]

Enjoy!

Quok1mb0 said:

DONT GET A DISPLAY MODEL. I've seen people do the craziest things with those cameras...

I have to admit that I treat those cameras as if they were junk...

Definately not worth the slight savings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back